1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Another cam question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Turbo90GT, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Turbo90GT

Well, I thought I was getting a custom cam with the heads I am buying (windsor sr's), but I got the numbers from Comp cams on it today. It is a part # 35-440-8,
    Specs:

281 deg advertised
    [email protected]
    .512 lift in/ex
    110deg lobe sep.
    IO 35deg IC 66deg
    EO 75deg EC 26deg

Will this cam work with my combo, or should I stick with the stocker? If it will work should it be adv/ret, or straight up? I know I will have to notch the pistons with it, but I will have to sell the 1.6 rockers and get 1.7's if I use the stocker.

2. 93PONY

Single patter 220/220 110LSA.....looks like the E cam with slightly faster ramps & 4.5 degrees of advance built in.
    If it were me, I wouldn't use it.

3. turbonatr

The lobe seperation certainly isn't "turbo specific". Lots of guys have made good power with a 110* cams, but they are definately NOT "turbo cams". Personally, I don't like to see anything under 112* for a turbo bumpstick.

4. Turbo90GT

Well, I found out some info on this cam, and it is what I was told. I talked to Comp cams about it and they also told me that it was not the best cam for my setup, and recommended a custom cam. I decided to talk to Jim at TTI, and this is the cam that they designed years ago, and Comp made it a catalog cam. I just don't understand how it will work so well, and goes against all turbo cam theory. He said to expect 550-575 rwhp with my setup! Pretty good for a non-turbo cam. Here's the cam Comp recommended FYI:

Specs at .050
    Intake Exhaust
    224deg 220deg
    .555 .547
    Int opens 0 deg Closes 44 deg
    Exh opens 46 deg Closes -6 deg
    114 deg lobe sep.
    2 degrees advance built in

5. Eric88T

Wow, your sig is exactly what I'm currently building toward (stock shortblock, Windsor Srs, truck lower/box upper). I was going to stick with the stock cam and retard it but am undecided.

Lil off subject but what length pushrods are you using?

My problem with a stocker is for the price of buying or finding 7/16" studded 1.7s, I can almost get 1.6s and a cam. But like you said, I'm worried about p-to-v.

6. Turbo90GT

I have been researching, and I found out that Isky makes a piston notching tol that fits your valve guide. Basically you buy it, then return it when done and they refund all but $35 for the use of it. That's what I am going to do, because I don't think the stock cam will get me where I want to go. I really don't know about the pushrods. I can measure them for you if need be. I have bought most every part off of a car a friend is parting out, so I got the whole setup and know it works. Now if I just had $800 to buy his Flomaster intake (custom tunnel ram with a box upper).

7. Rods

what part of Ky r u at ??? i live near BG , is the flomaster intake on a white lx ???

8. Turbo90GT

It was. The car has been parted out, and was sold as a roller. I Have bought a lot of stuff off of it, and wish I had bought the whole car. I live in Richmond, and a local guy used to drive it around here. He sold it to a friend of mine for 5K.:shocked:

9. Rods

dang!! yeah i remember that car at beach bend just sitting there with a forsale sign in it a few years ago , that intake is awsome !!!! wish i had one

10. Eric88T

Do you have a link describing this piston notching tool?

11. Turbo90GT