1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Recommendations for torque converter

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 55bowtie, Aug 3, 2021.

1. 55bowtie

Looking for recommendations for who to goto for a torque converter. From what I read my best bet is to call a company and explain my setup to have one built. I dont need the best of the best this is no drag car, just a weekend toy/ cruiser.

2. B E N

I would still call a pro. Tell them your combo and see if they have an off the shelf item to do it for you. I ran a TCI Saturday night special behind the turbo 460, because it was cheap, on sale and in stock. Worked fine for a street truck... but I had very low expectations for the build, and knew the engine would carry the truck fine without boost. That engine would have come alive with 3500 stall.

Pride, rushing and naivety got me on that one.

3. 55bowtie

Yeah I have a cheap 2400 stall in it now and to me actually seems pretty good, but i have a feeling when I finally get around to getting it tuned its gonna just blow through the converter. Also last time i drove it trans was making weird noise only in gear at idle, have not had time to look into it but im kind of planning ahead to get another converter now if i need to pull trans. Even if i dont I still think that I need a better one regardless.

4. Mnlx

PTC They have both an economy, and a good converter for the th350/th400 that they will build to suit.

5. 55bowtie

I will probably call them up. From the quick search I did PTC was what alot of others were using but I just like to get recent opinions as alot of threads that come up using the search are from years ago.

6. 55bowtie

Well I contacted PTC and they recommended a 9.5 billet front steel stator converter. I put the order in they said about 8 weeks it should ship. Im glad I ordered it and got it rolling because confirmed yesterday that the trans noise Is indeed the converter, I knew it wasnt gonna hold up but I thought maybe it would last a little longer then that. Oh well atleast thats a good sign the car is making some power lol

7. vht

I just ordered a new converter from Freak Show, he done a great job on the one in my chevelle, had it in 4 days.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  8. F4K

Yank is the only converter I will use.

The converter is the most important part of the car. If it wasn't for Yank (and similar small diameter high efficiency converters) I would not use an automatic