1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

doing a custom downdraft turbo on my 85 f250 6.9 diesel.

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 1turbo_or2, Jan 12, 2008.

1. 1turbo_or2

hello i have this truck. it has a granny 4 spd in it. i have a medium sized turbo from an international dt466e diesel. it would be a lot easier to put it under the truck where the y pipe connects because it won't fit under the hood and the exhaust piping would be making a lot of wierd bends. i also plan on an intercooler and external wastegate since this one has none. i want to push about 10-12 psi. how much lag would i be seeing. i would think it would not be that much since i have the granny 4 trans wrapping out quicker. would this work out well. thanks.

2. Explorer5.0

It would much easier to get some 7.3 IDI manifolds and put it on top. Then you wont have to worrry about an oil return pump.

3. 1turbo_or2

it won't fit on top of motor. this guy used the stock fuel pump for return on this twin turbo setup. i would be putting it up next to the motor, may be slightly high enough to gravity feed the oil into the top of oil pan.

check out these pictures.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559984916MwYFVT

4. 1turbo_or2

a/r on exhaust is 1.11 and intake is .58 what kind of performance can this turbo give. it is a garrett

5. Explorer5.0

these turbos came on engines making 200-300hp, so it should support that easily.

6. 1turbo_or2

thanks,does the diameter of the intake tubing after the turbo effect boost. for example, if i have 3 inch tubing how bad will that hurt spool time coming from mid truck. i only want to run about 10-12 psi of boost through an intercooler and will be using an external wastegate.where do i vent the exhaust from the wastegate, on the other side of the turbo or back in front of it.