1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 96 240sx 2.4lt I6 build

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by jdmser, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jdmser

I did a rb20det swap in my 96 240sx in 04' and in 08' the motor leaned out pretty bad at the track. It ended up taking out a couple of rings and valves. Before it happened I had started to piece together parts to do a bore and stroke. In November of 09' I lost my job and had to stop the build for a while. I up a Volvo S80 project on a mechanics special to repair and sell so when it's done I'm going to start working on the 240 again. Here's what I've got so far.

the car
    [​IMG]#ad

new eagle rods and custom je pistons
    [​IMG]#ad

100mm tb fitted to stock intake
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

custom mls headgasket
    [​IMG]#ad

external wastegate mod to stock manifold
    [​IMG]#ad

fitted a Quest 110amp alt to replace stock 80amp
    [​IMG]#ad

r33 rb26 long nose crank was sent out to be welded, ground, polished, and renitrided
    [​IMG]#ad

then fitted to rb20 block
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

rb26 bell housing swapped onto pathfinder transmission
    [​IMG]#ad

will be getting a South Bend clutch
    [​IMG]#ad

will be switching ignition to gn accel wastespark
    [​IMG]#ad

while the engine was out I painted and stitch weld the bay
    [​IMG]#ad

current head setup is tomei 260 procam w/ tomei springs and a mild p&p
    [​IMG]#ad

and of course a little n2o to top things off
    [​IMG]#ad

Can't wait to get back to work on it.

2. testchimp

very cool ! How much power will it make at what boost? A local guy had one swapped in and said his stock turbo KA with 8psi is as fast as the stock rb20 with 15psi which makes sense as the KA has more NA power. How much boost will a stocker hold and how much power is the trans good for? Good luck!

3. jdmser

I hope the local guy wasn't running 15psi on the anemic stock rb20 turbo for long. Their ceramic exhaust wheels don't like it very much. Goal for the engine is around 700hp but, the t3/to4e 50 trim on it now will be lucky to see 400. The stock rb20 is good for around 400 mostly limited by the cast piston Nissan put in all their motors. The Pathfinder transmission is the same as all the other fs5r30a transmissions and should be good for around 700hp.

4. testchimp

Should be pretty fun when you finish it! The local guy i spoke of has the rb25 straight six i got them mixed up. That's crazy that the transmission is that strong! I did know of a local guy with the sr20 in his 240 and it ran very well even with the stock turbo, it was gutted but it went like 110mph in the quarter with 15psi i believe on a really cobbled setup with all stock engine, turbo etc.

5. jdmser

Yeah, these boxes are pretty stout. I have a feeling need to go auto eventually but, not because the transmission isn't good enough.

[​IMG]#ad

6. bstanton101

I had a Rb25 that i just sold with a T04Z and it had 852rwhp in my 240, im sorry but not on that turbo with that motor your not makeing 400hp.

And the pathfinder trans are made for torque not HP, if you want a good trans get ahold of a TT z32.

7. Drac0nic

Just wanted to say that the caps on that are AMAZING. My buddy had talked about certain diesel blocks having all the caps together, that's like a factory girdle pretty much. I wish they made a set up like that for OE Chevy blocks. The only way you could make it better is stud it to the pan rails.

8. Lance

The .50trim t3/t04e has been proven to over 400whp on many apps of the 2.0-2.4l variety.
    Some have posted 500 pushing the limits.
    :huh:
    Unless somebody used a stock t3 turbine wheel :doh:

9. jdmser

Son of b**ch, I thought I was being original. Looks like you already built a rb24 with the same turbo, cams, must have had it ported by the same guys, had the same builder do the machine work, and put a pathfinder transmission behind it all. Must have cause that's the only way you would know enough about my setup to make those claims. Well, guess I'll just scrap it all and build one of the "better" rb motors.

10. jdmser

Had a spacer made up so the throttle body clears the valve cover. The original plan was to use a phenolic material but, with as thick as it had to be we went with aluminum instead. Also picked up a couple other parts to get things moving again.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and to replace the 2' long truck shifter from the pathfinder trans
    [​IMG]#ad