1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

moly cage upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by silver412, Nov 20, 2007.

1. silver412

I've got a basic 10 point moly cage in my car its been in about 4 years & I want to upgrade to 25.5 or 25.2. Should I add to the existing cage or cut it out and start over. I've always been told moly gets brittle over time so I don't want to waste time on an old cage if If I don't need to but I know it would be cheaper to just add to what I have. Thanks for any advice,Thomas

2. pudster1

it woud be easier to redue- but if your gonna be doing your self-and have access to bender-notcher its gonna take time - its all in what you want to do- do u have thru floor connectors? there are so many reasons to start over

3. Supe

Moly does not get brittle over time.

From a labor standpoint, it's easier to do a lot of the weld work when its out of the car, so keeping the existing stuff may not be cheaper. If you want a 25.5, and already have mild steel outriggers in etc, then you may justify an upgrade depending on current bar placement, tube diameters, etc.

4. hotrod

It really all depends on who is doing the work. Some shops will add to it and then there are some shops that will want to start from scratch

5. craigs

As a chassis builder myself, I am not a big fan of adding on to existing cages, especially once you start adding funny car bars and roof bars. Its almost impossible to weld all the way around the tubes in the roof area. Not saying it can't be done, but sometimes you are better off starting from scratch.

Craig Sheffield