1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

painting cage before inspection?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by fast92lx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. fast92lx

Hey,
    Has anyone heard of needing to leave a cage unpainted for nhra sticker? I have had serveral inspected after painting and never had a problem as long as the welds were not ground on. Buddy of mine just had a cage put in by a local shop and he was told not to paint untill inspection.
    Thanks

2. CADDYMAN

I've had several cars RE-certified and others re-stickered after repairs/changes...and they all had painted cages.
    They look for unwelded areas, quality of visible weld, tubing placement, correct thickness/placement of reinforcement plates, and proper gusseting, if needed. And paint doesn't affect sonic tests for thickness.

3. craigs

I just had one certified and was fully painted. The inspector told me I could show up at the track ready to race and he could still inspect it.

Craig Sheffield

4. fast92lx

thanks,,,sounded kinda hooky to me tooo,

5. jpicc

I got mine certified and it was painted. The inspector did scrape the paint off in one location to sonic test it, but he did do in a spot that was hidden

6. Supe

It really is unecessary for sonic testing, but I have seen them scrape the paint to do a punch test to verify 4130 vs mild.

7. hotrod

I'd go ahead and paint it unless the inspection is real soon.

8. forced64

Same thing here, they just scraped it to check tubing diameter.