1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Big Bore vs. Big Stroke 4.6 for turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 240power, Aug 23, 2005.

1. 240power

I'd like some opinions on this. A VT Stroker shortblock with billet rods is 4695. A VT Big Bore shortblock with billet rods is 4495. 200 bucks is peanuts in a build like this. What do you guys think will be a better choice for a turbo mod motor, I'd like to achieve 1000 RWHP or more and keep it streetable, probably running a pair of GT35R's. The stroke sounds nice for torque, but the big bore would give even more head flow. Whats your opinion?

2. Dynodaddy

I would always go with a big bore over a stroker on a 4V. Extra displacement is good, but unshrouding the valves with the 3.7" bore is a huge bonus. With 3.7" bore you can move up to 39mm intake valves witout worrying about getting into the firing ring.

I have some KILLER heads for a 4V if you are looking. 325intake, 265 exhaust @ .500

3. 32VGT

Hey im interested in those heads, do they come with cams? what year are they?

Ive got a 01 FORGED cobra motor in my 02 gt with twin 57s. Theyre getting installed and tuned with full suspension and fuel system, etc. next week finally!

4. 32VGT

BTW-I wouldnt do a stroker or big bore. Just run a little more psi and In my opinion it would be safer...

5. 240power

I don't see how it would be any safer, and did you ever see that article MM&FF ran? A 3.75" crank in a 4.6 motor was worth like 30 ft-lbs in the mid range, that's the kind of thing that I feel is definitely worth it for a street car.

After a bit more thinking, I may just end up going 324" if I can find a stroker crank for a good deal.

6. Dynodaddy

I have seen many stroker cranks fail in 4V applications while these same cranks survive in 2V engines all day long...

I believe this is due to a couple of things.

1. Weaker aluminum block with snort skirts
    2. Much higher RPM

Witnessing what i have over hte past couple years I would never rev a stoker 4.6 past 7000rpm's.

I would also never own a 4V that I could not rev past 7500. That is why big bore is my choice. Let those four valves breath a little more...

7. 240power

305" it is :p

This is what Pappitto recommended too, so I think i'll go with the big bore.

8. Dynodaddy

Listen to AL. He is no dummy..

9. 32VGT

well imo they walls are just to thin on a big bore, and like the other said about the cranks failing. I just dont think its worth the money or extra risk, but i just wanted to build mine 1 time and thats it.

10. Dynodaddy

the 3.7" sleeves are just as thick as the stockers. You can always go darton and have something much stronger

11. screaminr1

I've got the 3.75 stroker in a teksid aluminum cobra block. Although I am running 2v heads for the moment I plan to switch over to 4v sooner or later. I have had no problems.

12. F8LVENM

VT doesn't recomend over 20 psi of boost on a standard big bore (dry sleeve) modular engine. You would definetly want to go with the Darton sleeves (wet sleeve design)! For 1000 rwhp 4v modular I would imagine you will be pushing over 20 psi......do the Darton sleeves and be confident that you won't blow out a cylinder wall!

You'll be looking at around $7000+ if you do a Darton sleeved big bore stroker (324") shortblock from VT.

Ken

13. 240power

Yeah, I read more into the dry and wet sleeves.

You gotta pay to play though, right? :)

14. JimVT

Interesting...I build this all day long....and I've NEVER seen a stroker crank fail. The 2 most powerfull 2V motors both use stroker cranks ...... my 324 4V made 1448hp with 22psi, Lamotta's stroked 4V makes over 1000rwhp.....

What exactly did you see fail? Just curious.