1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Does a bigger compressor side increase Lag ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 724QuikFast, Mar 11, 2019.

1. 724QuikFast

.48 a/r turbine. Had a 40mm compressor. Now has a 60mm compressor.
    Does that add turbo lag?

2. Murphy41

It can. Think of it like reciprocating mass. The 60mm wheel doesn’t weigh the same amount as the 40mm wheel. So it’ll take a little more to drive it. How much? It’s hard to say. Every setup is different. But it “can” add spool time.

3. Mnlx

Yes, especially when you make such a large change on a small wheel. Depending on the size of the turbine wheel, it may struggle to even drive the larger compressor efficiently. I see you referring to a .48 turbine in many of your posts.... you can't compare turbines by just the a/r alone, you must first know the size or trim of the wheel. gt25, gt28, t3 stg 3, P trim, Q trim...ect. The a/r only comes into play once you know the wheel.

724QuikFast likes this.
  4. 724QuikFast

Finally found it. The exact turbo i modified is a Garrett gt1446 : https://blaast-turbo-factory.myshop...ett-gt1446-glszm-dodge-dart-1-4l-turbocharger

One reason i'm asking is because when it was unmodified it would scream and you could really tell it was doing work. But when i put on the bigger 50mm compressor it wasn't loud anymore.

The turbine wheel has to be in the 30 mm's . It's pretty small. Unfortunately i cant remove the turbine to get to the wheel.

5. xr8tt

6. xr8tt

So many variables . Spool or threshold is just part of whole system . Wheel trim etc . If it’s screening ? Chances are turbo is small ! I went to larger trim on exhaust . Spool was the same but didn’t hit so hard and kept making power . I went to larger exhaust system also .

7. dragvw2180

If you installed a larger compressor with the same turbine it may be that you are not producing enough torque on the turbine side to spin the compressor. Garrett did the same thing on their gt3076 turbo , when they upgraded it to a larger turbine to the turbo (gt3576) it performed pretty good.

8. Bad Medicine Racing

Every turbo I have had upgraded to a larger compressor wheel made a minor difference in spool. Went from 75 to 85 on one and from 76 to 91 on another it made enough difference to notice it slightly when street driving.

The two aspects to consider is 1. The larger compressor is heavier, and 2. It can physically "grab" more air than a smaller wheel which also makes it more difficult to turn.

724QuikFast likes this.
  9. 724QuikFast

[QUOTE ="Bad Medicine Racing, post: 2024493, member: 44008"]Every turbo I have had upgraded to a larger compressor wheel made a minor difference in spool. Went from 75 to 85 on one and from 76 to 91 on another it made enough difference to notice it slightly when street driving.

The two aspects to consider is 1. The larger compressor is heavier, and 2. It can physically "grab" more air than a smaller wheel which also makes it more difficult to turn.[/QUOTE]

Very well said.