1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cast Manifolds VS. Tube Headers

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 93LX5.0, Mar 9, 2003.

1. 93LX5.0

I am starting to get all my stuff together to atach my TO4B to my car. It is a must that I keep my AC and power steering in place because this is my daily driver, the swaybar can go and I am getting a smog pump eliminator pulley. My question is are tube headers really neccesary because some of the cast manifolds i have seen look like they would put the exhaust in a good place to make it easy to run the exhaust to the turbo. So far I think the way to go is put the battery in the trunk and mount the turbo in its place, aim the headers down and forward and bring the exhaust UP into the turbo but I'm not sure about some clearances between the smog pump eliminator pulley and the PS this set of manifolds look like they would get me close to where I wanna be http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406211288&category=33632
    Does anyone use stuff like this or do I need tube headers? Are there any advatages? Disadvantages? Thanks

2. Snipe656

This is what would scare me about using those cast iron manifolds. It seems like most of those Ford ones I have seen from the late 80s and up, would always end up cracking and about the same spot on the passenger side. Not sure why that is, maybe from quality of the material or design of the manifolds. Because really cast iron should handle the heat/stress from a turbo setup pretty damn well.

3. Traction Issuez

sounds like a fun project, and for $20 I say give it a shot.
    issuez