1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Do you think i can hit the HP level at this boost?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by ultraspeed, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ultraspeed

Okay guys i got the following done to the car

DSS supermod short block
    2valve ported heads from tea
    270ah comp cams
    stock intake
    60# jectors
    full return fuel system
    aluminum fly
    built 3650 promotions
    76mm hellion kit

Okay now im wanting to make 600 HP at 15psi and make 500hp at 10psi will it do it or am i expecting to much? now i have not bought the cams yet but i like the 270ah just for the sound i know ill give up a few HP but prolly not that much. so what is your opion?

2. blackonblacksls

Hey MMR.. My car makes 340ish stroker motor, ported heads, lower compression, and a vt engines stage 3 blower cam.. how much power you think it would make with one of your turbo cams and 20 to 25lbs of boost? 76mm turbo.. how much of a gain would it be?

3. gryphon68

Too many people on this site have a seriously weird fetish with hitting X Hp at Y Psi . . . . .

There is virtually zero difference in cylinder fill and pressure for a given HP level. It doesn't matter if it's 5psi, 20psi, turbo, supercharger, or nitrous.

REPEAT AFTER ME:

BOOST PRESSURE IS JUST A MEASURE OF RESTRICTION IN MY ENGINE . . . . .

It means NOTHING else.

One of the nice things about a turbo is you can make up for restrictions to some extent buy turning up the boost.

When you reach to the edges of the compressor map or hotside backpressure rises significantly, you can get into a diminishing returns situation, but until then enjoy the flexibilty.

Racers in a class that limits turbo size have better reason to reduce restriction, it lets them maximize efficiency within the class limits.

Don't get me wrong, a good turbo cam like MMR sells will help your street car make more power at less boost, and if you are switching to a turbo and previously installed a Nitrous or wild N/A cam grind in your car, then I would recommend getting a something more appropriate in there. I think most people underestimate the power they can make on a stock cam, it might not be at your magical target boost number, but who cares? There are lots of things in a stock mod motor that can be improved to reduce restriction before the cam becomes a significant factor in my opinion.

4. blackonblacksls

its not a fixation on horsepower at a given boost level... I was just trying to a round about estimate on where i will stand in my current setup, and how much i might gain from a good set of cams...

We all know boost is a measure of restriction, but when dealing with mod motors we dont have alot of options for heads cams and displacement, So someone who deals with a TON of modular setsup, should be able to give a decently acurate guess on what a built 2v would make at 25 20 lbs with a 76mm turbo...

5. gryphon68

BlackOnBlackSLS, your question was a lot more open than the original poster, sorry if you feel like you got caught in the crossfire . . . .

6. ultraspeed

yeah i know what ur saying and i do understand that.. But to me i really wouldnt care but when u tell someone hey i made 600 rwhp at just 15psi vs 20psi then they think wow thats pretty good. I was trying to figure out if my motor was built free flowing enuf to do this? does that make since to you now? but i dont have stock cams either i have f-42 anderson cams that where made more for a roots style blower.. but was going to switch to the comp cam because of the sound more then anything. but MMR has pointed out to me that there stg2 cams in a 2valve are pretty choppy sounding.. so i guess ill half to just try them out.. and the real goal is to make 750rwhp at a later date..

7. candyroush

my car put down 550ish to the wheels at 14psi with stock heads and compression, with the 270'son pump gas.