1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Do you have to run a catch can with an oil scavenge pump? (low mount turbo)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MEAN_SBC, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MEAN_SBC

Someone answer this. I searched, and never found a direct answer. How many people out there are running oil scavenging pumps with no catch can? I'm running a Tilton oil pump with no catch can. I have -12 from the turbo to the pump, then -12 from the pump to the pan. No tank of any kind. The rear mount turbo's do this, why can't a front mount do this????

Discussions please. 8)

2. MEAN_SBC

so nobody freakin knows? :huh:

3. turbobike

You need a "drain pan", below the level of the turbine shaft. If you simply have a fitting and hose, there isn't sufficient volume for excess oil that is still under pressure in the inlet FEED line, when you shut your car off. This oil must have a place to drain or it will seep into your turbine and compressor housing. Another note on oil sump pans, they should have a very small vent hose attach to the highest point on the drain pan to allow the pan to release any pressure/vacuum.
    Now that I have said all that, you CAN just run a hose and fitting. As long as your scavenge pump runs for 30-45 seconds after oil pressure/flow stops in the turbo inlet feed line.

4. silver_lite_nin

I originally tried it (low mounted 101 with just the weldon pump) without a "catchcan" and still had issues therefore went to a catch can with a vent and that solved the issues.
    Others may have had success but I do not know of any.

Additionally. I did not respond to one of your earlier posted questions (didn't see it)........

Your question = Is pumping it into a tank first before the pan required????? I know the rear mount turbo's don't do this....
    You say your oil drain runs UPhill... Is this with, or without a scavenging pump?

Answer = I run into a vented tank first (the oil has a place to gather so I am not pumping foam) then pump it uphill into the oil pan.
    Apologize for missing the question in your other post.

5. Blown347hatch

I'm also running theTilton pump with a low mounted turbo and no tank. This pump is supposed to be able to suck oil from 8 feet above its source, so it appears it has lots of vacuum.

6. mystang

yeah on my old setup i had the tilton pump with no catch can, but my hose made a u at the bottom so it was about 2 feet straight drop then a small "U" back unto the pump i had no problems with this set up at all