1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Do k-members move the front wheels forward?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by yellowpony, Apr 4, 2010.

1. yellowpony

Guys i have a 88 gt that has a d&d k-member and a-arms. I have 15"x3.5" weld draglites on the front. The wheels aren't centered in the wells, they are pushed forward and the wheels rub on the front fenders. I don't think that a 15" wheel should rub. I understand the 88 fenders have smaller openings compared to later years, but I thought the 88's had 15's stock? Would this issue be in the k-member or the a-arms? I bebkive the k-member is the better part of 7-8 years old? I can't stand it!

Anthony

2. 10secgoal

Search it man. think the arms might be backwards. But not a fox guy. I have seen the thread a few times on there though. :2thumbs:

3. ShaneH

D&D's kmember(as well as some others) do move the wheels forward.

4. yellowpony

Thank you for the answer. I did do a search and i guess I asked this a while back and forgot about it. I am going to switch k-members soon as I can't stand it!

5. LowBoostinT76

You can slot the bolt holes on the k-member more and slide it back further. I don't know how much you room you need, that may do the trick, other things may need adjustment if you do that too though.

6. boosted chicken

If you don't want to hassle with swapping the K, you could get the QA1 adjustable control arms that allow you to move them forward or backward.

7. 90lxrider

or get the team z setup and not have to worry about it

8. 86lxnotch

qa1 sucks! order up a set of adj control arms from dave and set em were you want em then get it realigned

9. LowBoostinT76

I wouldn't bother changing the k-member if everything else fits, just look into the adjustable a-arms. I heard of issues with every k-member on the market. Guess myself and some people get lucky as I've never had a problem with the k-members I've installed on mine or friends cars.
    There was a guy around here who had a team z k-member that the engine would hit the firewall when in the setback slots for the mounts. I never heard what really happened with that and was wondering the outcome. Also according to this guy quoted below the team z k-members move the wheels out and forward as well? I've not heard this before but would be something to look into. I have a qa1 that supposively does the same but didn't on my car as everything is pretty centered as well I posted pics for someone before that are still up on this forum. So who knows. So remember below is a quote, so don't run you shit storm on me about it. Just informing people to do there research and ask questions.

Quote: White 89 GT:"I have a D&D and its not good in the end, it sucks and I could not get long tubes on the car, but the wheel placement was good (centered).What I have on the car now is a team z it has tons of header room but it moved the tires out and forward and it lowers the rack so much that you have to use a bump steer kit and my car sits normal ht. and then because the rack sits so low you have to get a longer steering shaft.All I ever wanted in the beginning was to lose some weight and gain some header room and not have my car re engineered for me.So if you ask me I would buy the UPR."

10. TeamZmotorsports

It really seems that you have a boner for me or my parts! The fire wall issue was fixed as soon as he put the engine in the foreword holes!
    and our A arms DO NOT move the wheels out, it's the hubs or aftermarket brakes that do! I guarantee our fit on our parts even with the + or -.500 build tolerances on the fox body's! in all of the K members we've sold I've warrantied/swapped out 1.

11. LowBoostinT76

Lol, don't get all pissy Dave. I was just wondering the out come of what happened with it not fitting in the setback location. I never said it was a problem with the k-member. Geez.

12. TeamZmotorsports

That aint pissy ;)

13. cravens02

how much does a team z k-member cost? for a 99GT with coil overs

14. 302f150

I installed a D&D k-member, along with their tubular control arms and the only problem I had was the driver side engine mount stud was too close to part of the rack to get the nut on with the engine sitting down. Cut off like half an inch and it's fine. I've heard of people having problems with almost every k-member, most of them can be shifted slightly, so you have to be careful to get them straight when you bolt them in.
    Pic of wheel placement
    http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/cyber06wolf/Mustang/DSCN1297.jpg

15. 2lanestang

I have that issue of my team z moving the wheels forwards and outward not sure what I did wrong or if I need different a arms