1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dumping Boost into VAC on hard pulls

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SkubaSteeve, Nov 1, 2010.

1. SkubaSteeve

I am grabbing this from another post that I have on another forum, its for an 05 SRT4, I broke it up into 2 parts, just looking for some suggestions.

2. Nisan_Catron

intake hose or air filter pre turbo is collapsing. or something is being drawn into the air inlet.

3. 10secgoal

I was thinking the same....maybe surging ? Does the needle drop completely down and stay, or just slam back and forth ?

Sent out your 90's btw :2thumbs:

4. SkubaSteeve

It drops into vac and stays there till I let off the throttle

5. 10secgoal

Do you feel shuddering, or a power loss before you take you foot out of it ?

6. SkubaSteeve

Nope, pulls hard right up to the point where it goes into VAC

7. 10secgoal

But when it goes to into VAC, you can feel it right ? Trying to figure if it's the gauge, if it's surging, etc.

Aftermarket turbo kit ? Where is the gauge plumed ? Real close to an intake runner ?

8. SkubaSteeve

Its definately not the gauge, car loses power like nothing once the boost goes away, its an all stock setup, except for a k&n typhoon intake

9. 10secgoal

Almost sounds like surge....but seriously doubt it with a stock setup. Have you popped the filter yet, see if the compressor looks OK ?

10. jaredsamurai

Is that thing throttle cable or electronic?

11. SkubaSteeve

We are getting under the hood on Wednesday to do a Boost leak test, and swap out the wastegate solenoid. Probably check out the WGA if we can find one to replace it with.

LOL I honestly dont know, I believe it is cable

12. jaredsamurai

Even if the wastegate was swinging wide open when it wasn't supposed to, it still shouldn't go to 10 in/hg. If anything it should go to 0. Thats strange. Thats why I asked about the throttle. The only thing it seems could cause the motor to pull vac would be throttle shutting or an obstruction in the intake like mentioned earlier.

13. SkubaSteeve

And it only ever seems to do it around that higher rpm range, 4500-5000