1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

E85 fuel filters

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by ummduh, Jul 26, 2022.

1. ummduh

What are you guys running for fuel filters on e85?
    Right now I am just using my stock oe style filter with quick connect adapters to -6an.
    I don’t think it’s holding up, according to my fuel pressure sensor my pressure is very erratic and also sometimes 20psi low. Seems to drop with run time

it’s possible my fuel pressure regulator is going bad, it’s a stock sn95 and afaik it’s original lol. It’s also possible my pressure sensor is not working correctly.
    I’m reading you shouldn’t use a paper style filter with e? Or cellulose.

2. KEVINS

E85 will cause some filters to deteriorate so whatever you use should be E85 compatible. I think mine is an Areomotive, 10 micron with stainless steel filter.
    Also make sure the regulator and fuel pump is E85 compatible b/c some are not.

ks

3. B E N

My mustang (06 4.6l) uses the stock type filter, the coyote swap truck uses an Aeromotive 2 micron. Both run E85 and are fine. Sounds like FPR failure, cheap at the junkyard.

4. ummduh

Neither one of those have a regulator I’m guessing, both pwm systems?
    I understand standard makes a stock style regulator that’s adjustable should I want that, but the stocker should work fine as long as the e85 doesn’t eat it.

5. B E N

Mustang is PWM, coyote swap is return style on adjustable FPR.

6. F4K

This is the only filter I would use now
    http://injectordynamics.com/id-f750-fuel-filter/

And also one by the tank, pre-filter, easy to clean and reach. And a high quality sock style on the fuel pump. Check valves and pressure test the tank to keep atmosphere from wandering in. And flush the system with gasoline when done using it so the alcohol doesn't pick up water that was introduced during run-time and clog the filters or rust the injectors or whatever.

Alcohol is a hell of a drink but the consequences of abuse are to be avoided

7. ummduh

Jeebus that thing would be the best looking part on my whole ride.
    I ended up buying the aeromotive 12345 filter, with the micro glass filter they recommend for alcohol/e85. They sure don’t like to put too much information up about their stuff. Just “yea, buy this” .
    I’ll have that and the new regulator Saturday.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  8. F4K

aeromotive faq says you need to clean the filter every 10 run hours just fyi

every 10 hours

https://aeromotiveinc.com/tech-help/faqs/faq-340-stealth-fuel-pumps/

9. ummduh

Yea I've read that.. Thats actually the pump I have installed as well.

To be fair it doesn't say "with our filter you must", it says "with this pump we've found you must...".

This is why I say they really have shit for good information on their site. There really isn't any technical info on the filters.

I'm considering, in the nearer future, installing a pre-filter pressure sensor to monitor pressure drop to gauge filter clogage. Or, I'll play it by ear. I'm using a stock poly tank but everything else is aftermarket, ptfe, and new. Well, once the regulator gets here it will be, anyways.

10. F4K

it doesn't matter what pump you are using, Flow is Flow that clogs a filter, filter clogs no matter what type of pump you have.

Its just a warning. I only brought it up to emphasize the need for caution. Do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of your fuel system. Aeromotive stealth is a very small pump for alcohol, much less flow than say 3x of the same pump at 3x the output, which would in theory be 3x the rate of clogging filters at max output situation, see what I am saying