1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

No Drag Radials On A Dyno?

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by Bankbook, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Bankbook

Went to dyno my car today and the gu wouldt do it cause I had drag radials. the guy said the tires would come apart and destroy them. Any one ever hear of this?

2. ThomasWPT

No. What kind of dyno?

3. Wanderer

I've heard that comment with slicks, but not radials before.

4. franktf

????? Just about everything I've had on a dyno had DR's on it.....

5. turbofreek

sounds like hes loaded the crap out of his dyno and blew someones tires off before.

6. BadMoFo

been to numerous dyno days and had my 03 cobra on the dyno with drag radials and never heard of this. guy is an idiot.

7. jmstekguy

we have done numerous cars with dr's, they do tend to get hot and melt a little, but are fine, sounds like bs

8. domn8rx

That's crazy :stupid: Slicks are good as long as you air them up more....keep the growth down

john

9. went12s

Even my honda had drag radials on the dyno. :stupid:

10. Will Evers

lol what a moron...he has it backwards.

Slicks on high HP cars become dangerous. Radials are not as much.

11. wazslow

12. Crawlin5.0

DRs are no more dangerous than any other radial tire. Very often you see guys dyno with a dr.

13. 1sicpny

I just put 805 To the tire with radials. I have a post up in this forum

14. 428GT

It could have been a Dyno Dynamics dyno....I've seen drag radials come apart on those and give inconsistant readings. The way the rollers are, they heat up the tires and the grooves in the rollers cause the drag radials to throw chunks off

15. Power Adder Solutions Inc.

LOL, I would of just flat out asked him if he did not want to tune the car? :stupid:

Thats a first in my years of doing...

What kind of dyno.

16. 10secgoal

Huh, just dynoed with a set of 325/50's and she didn't blow.

17. 57 Chevy Gasser

So, if I wanted to use drag slicks, what special precautions should I do?
    Thanks
    Ken

18. wazslow

Make sure there is enough air in the tires! Dont run them real low or the tend to try and "wrap" around the drum. At least this is what I have found, from dynoing cars for about 2 years...

19. GangBang Malloy

only if the drag radials are bald with thread showing. my tuner didnt want to dyno my car with my bald drag radials but if they are good i say do it.

20. DC91GT

Mickey Thompson doesn't say they will blow but they will be junk after the dyno. They don't recommend using them, or else replacing them after the dyno. They have a rep over that answered that question.

Many people have dynoed and then used them without problems however. Maybe it's more important if you are racing to win and need every bit out of the tires.