1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY low buck blowthrough El Camino dyno pulls..

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by HellCamino, Aug 1, 2009.

1. HellCamino

Well, here´s a short video from dyno rollers. Daily driver elco. Includes big blowthrough no-no´s as vacuum secondary Holley & hypereutectic pistons, haha :D

Goal was to get 500+ engine hp with pump gas and 20psi, but that wasn´t ment to be with this combo..

2. BlownShovel

I've hit most of those hurdles but not all in the same day ;) Overall I wouldn't be that disappointed. Surviving many pulls and driving home just shy of your goal at lower than expected boost levels is not a bad thing. Did you log all runs to help with some additional tuning. Any IAT readings?

3. HellCamino

Yeah, I also forgot my assortment of jets to the dyno.. :stupid:

I´m not really that dissapointed, 500hp is just a number and car works ok & feels quick (going to the track next friday to be even more dissapointed, haha!) It just has so low compression ratio that I´m giving away some low rpm grunt and can´t compensate it with higher (20psi) boost. We did some 20-30 runs and tuned the carb & ignition after most of them, if that´s what you mean? English isn´t my mother tongue so every now and them I´m like :huh:

Hmm, IAT readings..?

4. BlownShovel

Jets are pretty important when it comes to tuning. ;)

IAT Intake air temp Wondering if you are straight pump gas and what your IAT reading were if you measured that.

You are correct that a number is just that. Head to the track and have some fun.

5. HellCamino

Oh, I should have guessed.. No we didn´t measure IAT other than temperature going into the turbo. That was around 50deg.C (120F), pretty hot.. If air temperature raises around 100C/1bar, the intercooler has lot´s of work to do.. Relocating the air filter is amongst other things I´ve planned for next winter. Yes I´m running straight pump gas, 98 octane, but I´m not sure can you compare our octane rating with yours in US.. Anyway it´s premium grade and costs about an arm and a leg, 1.5eur/litre.. I think around 8$/gallon. Crappier 95 octane gasoline here costs only 7$/gallon, lucky me!!! :bah:

6. wgsr-1

Just by the fact that as soon as you tried 15 psi the intercooler pipe blew off, makes me think that right there is your restriction. Either way, cool build.

7. HellCamino

Thanks man! :D

You mean intercooler is the problem..? It has around 70cm2 internal flow area (I think it equals little under 4" diameter tube) but of course it won´t flow as much, because of fins inside the cooling tubes..

A friend had similiar cooler at his drag race four banger Opel and had no problems with 30psi/800hp. But who knows if he could have had 1000hp with bigger cooler.. ;)

8. unforgiven

Seems that 600 cfm carb has to be the limiting factor.

9. L.C.B.E

Thats a sweet ride congrats. cooler incoming air would help build more boost(air filter relocation as you stated). you could also install a methanol/water kit that injects before the turbo, which improves the compressors efficiency (theoretically more boost, but takes away from your pump gas only goal). i would rather crank up the boost than buy anything. new heads would allow you to get the compression up if you got smaller chambers, maybe lighter as well. congrats again, I'm jealous. be sure and update this with your track times

10. HellCamino

Who knows.. At least needle assemblies seem to be too small (scroll down a bit)

11. HellCamino

Thank´s man! :2thumbs:

I´ve been thinking of water/meth kit (I don´t mind to use other stuff than pump gas, that´s just the cheapest to drive around), but wouldn´t the water/meth accumulate inside intercooler if I spary it before turbo..? Smaller chamber alu heads would also be great move, must put the thinking cap on..

As for the track times, we went to test an tune happening two days ago, I´ll try to post links to some video clips in a few days. There were some teething problems; no traction on first and second gear (peg leg rearend) and total lean out in third. With some band aid fixes the car run 13.6/107mph.

Seemed that needle assemblies were getting small. We increased fuel pressure run after run (and got 6-7mph every time) untill the carb flooded.. Haven´t pulled the needles out yet to check the size, but I think there is the cause for lean out.

12. wgsr-1

It seems that the intercooler is big enough, but it DID blow the tube off leading into the intercooler as soon as you turned it up.

13. HellCamino

You are correct on that one. However we went to dragstrip few days ago and the connection after intercooler started to slip. Did not come off though.. Intake side was ok. When I made the intercooler I put kind of grooves to the tubes, not a proper lip. I bet that has a lot to do with pipes blowing off..

Anyhow here is link for lates´t adventure..

&feature=channel[/url]

Cannot get the aspect ratio right, dammit! :doh:

14. wgsr-1

That video made me LOL, the "Peg Leg Bandit" cool. I bet you had a blast: keep us posted on how things go, I love the budget builds.

15. HellCamino

Heh, glad you liked it! We had great time at the track, I even had my first scalp, some 1.0 Fiat econobox, haha..! :chacha:

I measured the elky´s turbo, seems that compressor (inducer diameter 58mm, exducer diam. 82mm, trim 50) is good for around 450hp if I interpret Garrett´s website correct. Turbine (inducer 77mm, exducer 66mm) seems to support around 600-700hp, so something has to be done to this combo.. It´s kind of mystery turbo, because CHRA´s number 448315 does not seem to match any turbo Garrett has listed.. :huh:

16. Anthony Fury

Have you checked backpressure?

17. HellCamino

I´m gonna do just that next! Just have to weld a bung to the maniflod..

18. upstand2

What is that carb box made of?

19. HellCamino

It´s from mild steel (3mm thick), quite heavy but it works.. Plate directly under carb is thicker material, arround 12mm. (1/2 inch?)

20. HellCamino

Just checked that yesterday.. On 15psi at intake, it´s 30psi at exhaust manifold. I think still on acceptable level assuming that my pressure gauges work ok. Have to double check the gauges though. But if I upgrade the compressor assy, exhaust pressure will go up from there...?