1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Suggestions converting carbed fuel system to EFI.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by joeleodee, Sep 1, 2016.

1. joeleodee

Currently awaiting the arrival of my FiTech 1200hp that I've chosen to replace my carburetor. In the meantime, I can't seem to come up with the right components to compliment the EFI. Here's the struggle. I'm going to be running E85 and twin turbo on a big block Chevy. It'll be a low boost mostly street build so I'm estimating somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-800hp. Therein lies the dilemma. Currently, I have a 12 gallon tank that feeds holley blue and mallory 110 electric fuel pumps in parallel and powered by a manual switch. Those will have to be switched out since they are carb pumps with low pressure.

My first thought was to run the Fitech FCC, but that's only rated to 800hp with gasoline and running e85 with that wouldn't even adequately supply my motor in N/A trim.

My next idea was to purchase a FI tank kit from Tanks Inc. Very reasonably priced, but even their top flowing fuel pump option won't support the needed fuel when running e85. That's according to the flow charts they provide.

My other option which is quite spendy is to purchase 2 of these pumps. I'd be able bolt them in place of my existing fuel pumps. I would just have to eliminate the regulator since the Fitech has a built in regulator.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ms...X2KFMnVbv50O5SIKRGR_ZqyiXeQc_U0PCwaAsry8P8HAQ

Another lesser concern is the small gas tank I currently run. I have to fill it often and e85 will make trips to the station even more frequent. I'm also concerned about the lack of sump situation currently. Both these reasons are why I like the larger 20 gallon tank offered by Tanks, Inc. Has anybody tried to run an even higher flow fuel pump than they offer?

Anyway, what other options or recommendations can you guys offer. What have I missed? I really don't like the idea of running a fuel cell either because of how this vehicle is used.

2. 72much

Instead of running two pumps why not run just one like this one.
    Aeromotive 11104: Aeromotive Eliminator Fuel Pumps
    $555.97
    Summit Racing Equipment

3. joeleodee

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that and determine if the FiTech is capable of controlling that. The description makes it sound like I'd have to run their controller for another $300+ dollars. If that were the case, I might as well just run the dual pumps for a less invasive installation.

4. HAULIN IT

Do a little research on the "fuel pump in a can" thing...LOTS of unhappy people after purchasing that. In fact, that is mostly the only thing I have seen negative about FItech. I went with the AEM 380 pump. It hasn't been in use long so I can't say it's great yet. When I get my boosted set-up installed, I'm going to add a second one...assuming the first one is still doing fine by then. Lorne

5. joeleodee

Yeah, the Fuel Command Center is definitely off the table. When I called Fitech directly to inquire about it, I asked if there was any way a bigger pump could be utilized. He kind of chuckled and said the pump it ships with is almost too big. Either way, there's no way it will support the power.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

6. joeleodee

What about fuel surge tanks? I know it's similar to the fitech FCC, but I think what I don't feel comfortable with about that is it isn't a returning system to the tank. The schematics I've seen with the surge tank all have lines returning to the main tank.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

7. joeleodee

8. joeleodee

9. M&M Turbochargers

are those twin walbro 255lph pumps???

10. joeleodee

They are AEM 380lph pumps. I won't be running out of fueling any time soon. If I ran this, my car would literally have 4fuel pumps. Lol.

11. dodge turbo

Can you run two walbro 255's with the fitech??

12. joeleodee

I'm going to contact them to find out if it's as simple as splitting their wire to the fuel pump or what. However, according to someone else who talked to their tech support, the stock regulator won't work with that much fuel flow, so an external regulator will be needed.

13. dodge turbo

Yea sounds good. Let me know

14. joeleodee

Will do. However, according to the listing, the surge tank includes a relay and harness so I might just need to connect it to that.

15. Silverbulletman

Whatever you do do not use the fitech command center as guys have had trouble. As far as external pumps you cant beat the Magnafuel protuner 750, bulletproof pump !

16. Lowlyslows

Good choice on the FiTech, I will be doing the same for my Twin Turbo setup.

You should have no issues coming up with a fuel system. I plan on running an intake pump feeding a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay with a return line. Keeps the fuel cool and the psi you need.

Good luck

17. joeleodee

I am going to go with the surge tank setup. With the tank both fuel pumps, filters, all fittings, lines, and regulator, it'll be about a thousand dollar bill. I'm having them put together a whole turn key package if you will.

I was leaning towards changing out my existing pumps, but then I would have to pay someone to weld a sump onto my gas tank and quite frankly I don't want that hanging below my back bumper. I don't want to run the risk of fuel starvation by not running the sump or some kind of system to prevent that so this seems to be the best option for me.

18. joeleodee

Well, unfortunately, I had to cancel the order for the surge tank because I don't think the company even sent to work order to have it built. They told me 5-7 days a month ago and they still have not given me an ETA. They said they credited my card back and didn't push back at all, so that makes me think the production hadn't even begun.

Now, I'm back to square one. I need fueling for 1200+hp(~850+ w/ e85). I don't want to run a sump in my tank because this car needs to keep it's clean outward appearance and a sump hanging off the tank will look out of place. Definitely don't want to run a cell. This is a street car that often requires the use of trunk storage.

What are my options, folks?

19. ashford

get the tanks fuel tank, ask them for the bigger opening pa series setup without a pump( or cheapest pump) then install this http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=DPA-680&eq=&Tp= it is twin in tank 340 pumps it flows enough to feed roughly 100# injectors. i highly recommend a holley fuel mat too.

20. 5.0thunder

Have you used the mat to see whether it helps much or not? I think it's a neat idea and sounds plausible.