1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY EFI TBI LOL

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 5.0thunder, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 5.0thunder

We all know by now that the FiTech system is out and about with the 600hp power adder version costing around $1300. Holley Sniper efi is the only competition I've seen thus far with similar capabilities but no apparent ship date. I also can't get a straight answer from their reps/techs regarding e85 capability. -___-

This has given me enough time to think about a more capable DIY solution that acts similarly.

I've been after one of these TBI setups because I have a weiand 174 roots blower that won't accept MPFI and the rest of the car is setup for carb instead of the factory ford FI. Since I'm stuck using a carb style system, but don't want to run a carb, I was interested in these TBI's.

WHAT IF: Instead of using one of these all-in-one packages, I just used a 4150 size throttle body with internal TPS, IAC, MAP, IAT, and body-mounted injectors (FAST makes one and I'm sure other companies as well), then ran it with Microsquirt?

It could control ignition timing, there would only be like 4 injectors to play with and they don't require sequencing or staging, and it has all of the sensors in the same vicinity to make wiring a breeze. This option could potentially cost less than the Holley or FiTech setups but still give us all that megasquirt capability, and handle e85 for sure, with a simple wideband. Could be used for blow-through or draw through, or NA.

This has likely already been done so does anybody know of any pros or cons here? Maybe references to builds that are utilizing this idea already?

304148.jpg #ad

304148.jpg #ad

2. Disney Lincoln

Price it out, probably cost more than the FiTech.

3. blown385

Why not just run MPFI

4. 5.0thunder

:) :)

5. flyinhillbilly

Google B&M Superjection. Those setups are still out there. In fact my neighbor has on minus the computer with the butterflies frozen up. Those were made for the 144&177 blowers.

6. 5.0thunder

Interesting... I see one on ebay for 1500 bucks (LOL?). Supposedly has 4 42-52 lb injectors so power capacity is pretty low. Probably not very adjustable and likely doesn't have ignition control and free I/O like a standalone. I'm sort of liking my idea if I can source a TB that has injector bungs and rails. I could throw whatever injector size I need in there and as long as it has TPS, IAC, and IAT sensors, It'd be easy to run microsquirt or something.

7. blown385

oops .

8. MaverickDan

I had a powerjection 1 that the computer took a crap that I hooked a megasquirt 2 to. Wasn't bad to make work, but I ended up switching to mpfi before driving the car.

9. flyinhillbilly

What I'm saying is those throttle bodies are still out there. Neighbor tried to sell his at a swap meet for $50 last year. You can swap the injectors as I believe they are standard Bosch and run it with microsquirt.

10. 5.0thunder

OH! Not a bad idea. :D

I see the superjection uses side-firing injectors and there is something called holley projection that uses top mounted injectors. I think the top firing design stacks up too tall but idk what the discharge looks like for the side firing design. I wouldn't want it to pulse fuel into the wall of the barrel and have it trickling down the into the rotors. I'd rather it be well atomized, or at least a fine mist. Think your neighbor still has the thing?

11. 5.0thunder

So If I could find a TB for like 50-100, 4 120lb injectors for somewhere around 150, then microsquirt with a harness for around 200, I could potentially have the whole setup under 450-500 bucks with fuel lines/adaptation and be set. Hmm, definitely gonna start shopping

12. 5.0thunder

Now another question about Microsquirt: The car currently has a pro billit 2 wire dizzy connected to a 6AL box with blaster coil. Can microsquirt control this system or do I need to replace the dizzy with a TFI, duraspark, or EDIS system?

maybe [MENTION]Matt Cramer[/MENTION] can chime in? :)

EDIT: I've read the manual and other information and i know it can control this system, but will the current Micro v3.0 require board mods to control a 6AL and pro-billet?

Is this a very successful system? If so, I may be interested in ditching the TFI dizzy on my turbo car in lieu of another pro-billet and controlling that 6AL in the same fashion, eliminating the 26 year old electronics (TFI and pip) as a possible future issue.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  13. 5.0thunder

After more research, I've found that the superjection throttle body was made by Auto-nomics, which is still a company that can be contacted and purchased from. They also OEM'd for Holley under the Accel branding and "ProJection" name (I believe.. this was before my time). It looks like they make the Throttle Bodies and can build with injector bungs/rails, TPS, other sensors, and possibly a MS harness as well, producing a similar product to what FAST has but for a fraction of the price. This would greatly simplify things as all I would need to purchase would be the injectors (and wideband/controller for tuning). This could be a backup plan if a used superjection TB isn't found easily. I emailed the owner and will report back with info.

14. flyinhillbilly

I know for a fact he still has it, I had it in my hands last weekend. I'll ask if he still wants to sell it. It has the hat, MAF, And TB I know for sure.

15. 5.0thunder

I def wouldn't need the hat or maf as I'd be running a map sensor and speed density with MS, but i'm interested! Think the butterflies are fixable?

16. flyinhillbilly

I'm sure they are, the shafts are just seized in the bores. Everything looks good just looking at it.

17. ss496

Interesting.....

I was thinking about using a 4150 style EFI manifold.....small gas injectors at the ports.....and using some sort of TBI to inject E85 once the turbo(s) spools....Id be trying to stay on a budget as well.

Does/will FiTech just sell the throttle body w/o the ECU and injectors?

18. 5.0thunder

I know for sure they don't currently package it that way. now that they have a patent on the design, they released photos of the injector housings and it look like LS3/LS7 injectors will pop right in (don't know the actual name of that injector style). If they would sell bodies that could be an option as well.

19. Matt Cramer

MicroSquirt can run an MSD Billet distributor and 6AL box no problem.

I've seen it used on several TBI-type installations. The main thing to keep in mind is that a lot of TBIs used low impedance injectors; those will need current limiting resistors.

20. 5.0thunder

Ah, interesting. I've got high imp. SD 80lb injectors in my turbo car and would try to use high imp in this TBI as well so I'm guessing there will be no mods required for the micro. Is it the same for MS2 v3.57 assembled models?