1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY boost-a-pump idea for under $40?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Forcefed86, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Forcefed86

Was thinking I could use a 6v mower battery wired in series to my fuel pump on a set of NO/NC relays with a switch. Basically removing the 12v ground/power wires with a set of relays and switching over to 18v before a run. The 6v battery would now be wired into the charging system and would require separate charging. I'm assuming a 275CCA 6v battery would easily last a track visit if only used 20 seconds at a time.

The other option would be to use 2 12v batteries with a battery isolator. (little PC680's would work great) Then you could wire both batteries to the cars charging system and run 24v to the pump for short bursts.

Any foreseeable problems in something like this I'm overlooking? I'm by no means any kind of electrician.

2. my8950

2 batteries and an isolator is going to be a heck of a lot more expensive, heavy, and space consuming than just buying the boost a pump...

3. devo9er

I would probably buy a pump too but you could try this route also:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E8D7XYG/

Its a DC to DC voltage amplifier with adjustable output. Ive used them for motor speed control on a few projects and they work great.

4. wesk

That's not quite enough current for a fuel pump at elevated voltage.

5. devo9er

Youre right, I saw the 600w and figured at 16v it would be around 35 amps. I dint see the constant current of 12 amps part. Just get a boost pump haha