1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to see some upper intakes - also fiberglass question

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 94Blue302GT, Aug 4, 2005.

1. 94Blue302GT

show me your homemade intakes. Mine isn't going so well and i'd like a couple of visuals to work off of.

Also, does anyone think you could make one out of fiberglass? Just a thought, really. I know companies make them out of plastic now, and carbon fiber, but what about fiberglass? The runners wouldn't be TOO hard, but the bungs for the FI's and making threads for the TB might be a bit of a challenge. Would it even hold up to the heat?
    Intercooled heat, that is.

2. rhyno9

The bungs and the threaded holes are actually pretty easy. Buy the injector bungs from somewhere and then cut the holes in the glass. Put the bungs in the holes and glass them in. Basically the same process for the throttle body except for bungs you would use nuts.

If you are planning on making just an upper intake then you would not need to do bungs.

I would make the mounting flange for the upper/lower junction out of steel and then glass over the whole thing and cut out the appropriate holes. My thoughts on this are do to distortion that might occur when torqueing the 2 together.

You would probably need to build it in 2 parts and then glass it together. Otherwise the inside would be really rough and choppy.

My $.00000000002 cents.

RV

BTW have you calculated what volume is required? How'd you do it? What did you come up with?

3. Brandon@DMI

I just finished a box upper based on a stock intake. I'll post some pics tonight. I really only built it to practice tig welding aluminum.

4. 94Blue302GT

1. I didn't calculate the volume at all actually. I hear rumors that 75% engine volume is good. But, I think it matters a LOT on how the motor flows. For right now i'm just quickly fabbing up a metal upper to get it RUNNING!!!

2. Good idea about the metal junction. Espcially because if i glass it, it'll be the whole thing, not just an upper. Like i said, quick fab now so i can take my time later.

3. Yes, it'll be in two parts, i'll smooth it out and dremel it real nice and all.

4. Do you think it'll take the heat if it's right off of a metal plate from the heads? I'll be getting aluminum heads later on (along with probably a new block, assuming i'm too power hungery).

5. 94Blue302GT

I chose to make mine out of steel just because of the crazy shape it seems to be becoming... LOL. I don't want it to warp and get messed up, and i don't feel like getting that much money into aluminum when I plan on glassing an intake as well.

Oh, for those that were wondering...
    I'll be paper mache'ing the inside and glassing around it, OR using that "great stuff" that people use for insulation purposes, and glass over that, and then pouring some gasoline in it to eat it away. Only problem with either one is to get all the stuff out and to get in there and dremel it away.
    The TB will be coming off the front corner and will be one of those dual flap style (lightning?) and then routed to the Intercooler.

6. T.J. 87-GT

7. 94Blue302GT

Wow, that's nice. it's a little different with the blower on it and all, but similar concept. I'm getting all the pics I can and bringing them to my father in law that works at a machine shop. he just "Happened" to have some spare aluminum that "might just work".
    Only thing is that if he's working on it, i can't really do the "design sometimes as you fabricate" approach or he'll kill me.

I wanna buy an 05 and put a big block with a blower in it and just have people look like i'm crazy to toss that 3 valve motor, lol. Ok, well, not toss... Shelby Cobra...?
    Dang i want money.

8. tom351

i did this one a couple of years ago...

[​IMG]#ad

9. Brandon@DMI

10. 94Blue302GT

Did you use the stock upper to get the runners started then? That actually looks like a good idea. Tom351, looks like you did the same thing, maybe cleaned it up a bit?
    Did that work with all the electronics and such then? I have a SN95, so it's set up a little differently and I want to make sure everything clears with those angles so close.
    Also, TOM has a gap enough to put bolts in the bottom, but Brandon, it looks like you put the bolts right through the middle. Was taht hard to do? Just get a tube and seal it up? Stock bolts?
    Thanks guys, nice pics!
    Lee

11. Brandon@DMI

Yes I used the the stock upper. I cut it so I was left with the throttle body mount and I left the base with about 3" of runner where the upper mounts to the lower.

Yes, it uses the stock middle bolts. I took some 5/8 aluminum rod, cut 2 pieces about 6" long drilled a 25/64 th hole through the center of them. Then welded them to the base on the inside of the box then on the outside of the box on the top. I'll post a couple of more pics.

I plan on building an upper for a gt40 completly from scratch in a couple of weeks, I'll only have about $80.00 in material. sure beats $850.00 for a Hogans

12. dman

13. tom351

yea, when i had it in the milling machine i cut those 2 down so i could put a short bolt in them...i made one from scratch for a gt40 lower for a friend but i didnt take any pics...i do have a pic of a honda intake from scratch i made for a guy...

[​IMG]#ad

ive also done a few intake conversions...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. RyClef331

I want to learn to TIG weld REAL bad after seeing these...wow. Awesome work!

15. MUSTANG B

Donation too the Thread..

This one was Designed a few years ago bye 2 Frieds of mine..Walt SizeMore and Doug Crosby Engineered it!

Has two Ports for a Fogger centered between runners and Designed too accept a Turbo/Blower in the Future..Don't have a pic of the Inside on how it was Shaped for Blow-Thru..My car has no mods..Its a 93 Coupe AOD/No Gear..Picked up 3 tenths in the 1/8 just bye putting the upper on and alot more in the Quarter..

100_2174 (small).jpg #ad

16. MUSTANG B

2 nd pic

100_2175 (small).jpg #ad

17. 94Blue302GT

awesome pics guys!
    I'm back from vacation and hopefully going to start this thing up soon. I'm going to cut off the flange for the TB and the bottom for the runners. I hope none of you mind, but i've printed up a few of the pics and given them to the machine shop where my father in law works. He's actually going to be building it for me. I'll post pics as i go in another thread.

I know some finer companies use carbon fiber for their intakes. Can that resist a lot more heat than the fiberglass?

18. Brandon@DMI

Actually the motor I was going to put my intake, is not in running condition. So I won't be using the intake I just made. I have a ported stock lower for it If anyone is interested in it PM me.

19. Brandon@DMI

I know this is an old thread, but someone was PM'ing me asking for the pictures I posted. I misplaced (deleted) his PM's so I'm posting the pictures here
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Hope these help

20. Drac0nic

Way old but I figure I'd stick in for reference to anyone thinking about using the insulation foam that last time I tried to clean it up with Acetone it didn't even come close to dissolving. The stuff is seriously tough. Be sure gasoline will melt it before you make an intake is where I'm going with this.