1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY 1988 Mustang gt (MS,DIY Hot side, DIY cold side, shaving engine bay)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by boosted88, Jan 2, 2010.

1. boosted88

Hey guys, just thought i would update my original thread and realized a bunch of my pictures were not working anymore, so i figured i would just re do mocky thread...

Car: 1988 Mustang GT original paint, original interior, fairly clean car

Engine: 331=broken, New Engine= Fresh 302 100% stock longblock minus a little back yard port job, mostly just bowl work.... and gasket matched, Edelbrock rpm intake manifold, Edelbrock 75MM TB, NO egr.

Fuel System: Ford Racing 42lb fuel injectors, Dual walbro 255lb hr. fuel pumps, Stock fuel lines, and Russels fuel pressure reg.

Turbo System: Percision PT64E w/ shitty cover w/ 3" inlet and 81 exhaust housing, Custom made Hot side done by Me, made out of 2 1/2 Mild steel piping, Tig welding, except for a couple places where i used a Mig welder, Made all flanges at work (CNC MACHINIST) VHT ceramic painted and then Heat treated in oven (Girl Friend was not so happy about that) Then Wrapped in black Heat Wrap, Large intercooler purchased from a local speed shop, and i used a 3" aluminum Universal IC pipe kit along with red couple's and the larger 11mm T bolt clamps...

Suspension: QA1 K-member, stock lower control arms, KYB shocks and struts, Grippy Lower control arms, Upr adjustable uppers, No front sway bar (will fit with my turbo kit though)

Transmission: RedNeck Performance Fully loading C4, reverse manual valve body fully rollerized and Trans Brake, 3200rpm stall converter

Engine Managment: MegaSquirt II V3.0 running 2.88 code (tuned by me)

Misc: Flaming River Manual steering rack, custom steering shaft made by me, Custom engine bay panels, Compucar Nitrous system ( 150 shot )

here are some pictures of my build........

[​IMG]#ad

2. boosted88

1st day of mock up and tear down, its amazing how nice a car can look untill you start tearing off all of the fender and body that you try so hard to keep clean and nice and then BANG you realize you car's not quit as clean as you thought it was....
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. boosted88

megasquirt build.... MS II v3.0..... i have know idea what i was thinking by getting into this whole MS thing, i have no previous experience soldering i have no idea how computers work, and wow, i think this is the first thing that i have ever purchased and had no chance and H3LL on knowing how to put it together....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. boosted88

HOT SIDE mock up..... i wanted the turbo to be on the driver side to hopefully keep as much heat away from the cold side pipping and since my plan was to run your typical through one side and out the othe side intercooler i thought the shorter the charge pipe the better off i would be.... so this is what i ended up wth...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. boosted88

what the engine bay looked like whenever i pulled the motor..... NOT SO NICE....

[​IMG]#ad

The start of cleaning it up, at first i was just going to weld up as many holes as possible and then just grind and bondo it up and then i realized i absolutly hate grinding and bondoing, so i went to work and took some 16gage steel and starting guesing on bends and lengths and figured i could just trim when i got home with a cut off wheels and sanding pad, and this is what i came up with....
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. boosted88

The finished engine, just freshend up a 302 because of the terrible demise of my nitrous 331 engine....... well it was actually kind of stupid, i went to tear IT apart to freshen it up and found that i had caused some damage to cylinder #3 and #7..... the slug in #7 was missing most of it skirt, and it was no where to be found in the pan.... got to love it

[​IMG]#ad

the manifolds that we came up with: ford racing shortys flipped and 3" to 2 1/2" reducer flange and a v band on the end of both of them.... then ceramic coated them at home....and then wrapped them, im not sure what i was thinking wrapping them but i geuss i just did not trust the ceramic stuff out of a can even now i put it in the oven for hours .....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

me trying to get everything in the car without scratching the paint.....
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. boosted88

getting a bit of the wiring done, prolly the hardest part of the whole build for me..... and finishing up some loose ends

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

some of the transmission work...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. boosted88

Will post updated pictures some time tomorrow, my memory card does not fit into my new computer.... have to find the cord, but all said and done the car put down 430hp and 548tq on 8-9lbs of boost, and 516hp 633tq on 13-14lbs, the numbers seem a bit high to me... about 30-50 high in my opinion, it was dynoed on a mustang dyno meter but it was at a diesel truck shop so im not shur if the load they put on it or something made my car read high, or maybe it just a absolute freak and made great power im not shur, im still trying to work some of the bugs out like PCV routing, i had a bit of a mishap a filled my intake full of oil... i actually just got done cleaning that all out the best i could and am going to try to see how it works now if it ever quits raining here in washington....

9. Burbo Coupe

Very nice job so far. How hard was the MS to get together??? Thinking of getting a setup.

10. boosted88

Honestly it was amazingly simple, Im not saying i did not run into a couple lilttle problems while following the directions and not 100% understanding a couple of the options on install, but all in all, it is very easy, just make shur you have a good soldering iron and practice on something that does not matter, because there is prolly about a dozen really close holes that you have to solder up and they can be kinda tricky...... i ordered up a adapter board and stim and assembled all of that as well, and install was very simple. initial start was easy as well, i had a couple issues but in the end, they had nothing to do with the MS, ( could not get car to idle down, Throttle cable was pulled to tight and was revving the engine ) :bang: i suggest the MS, when your all said and done , you have a stand alone engine managment that you put together 100% and its making your car run :2thumbs:

11. Burbo Coupe

Good to hear. Keep in touch with the tuning and any issues that may arise.

12. Mr. Taco

Good job!

Im really liking the red and black theme you got going :2thumbs:

13. boosted88

thank you, it took a long time to come up with something that would look okay with the color of my car....

14. mcnally351

cool build, I like the smooth engine bay and I couldn't agree more about grinding and bondo, nice touch :cheers:

15. stangboy86

how hard is spark plug removal? are those straight ends on the plug wires? nice job with the build, color looks great! love the camo too

16. boosted88

yes they are straight ends on the wires, there actually moroso diy spark plug wires... and the spark plugs are honestly easier for some reason, i expected them to be a bit more difficult then before but there not at all... the headers are actually easier to get on for me too other then the stupid header wrap that got to close to a couple of the holes.... :bang: