1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Divided Turbine Housing

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by BigDan, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BigDan

I've been reading and rereading that turbo book by Jay K. Miller and in one of the chapters he talks about divided turbine housing not really showing much of any help for gasoline motors. I suppose it would work fine for the 4 bangers and V6 crowd but for a V8 application I doubt it. Since most of the Ebay turbos come with that style turbine housing would there be any benefit to knife edging that divider? I know on some dual plane intake manifolds they notch the divider by about an inch inside, would this help in a turbine housing as well?

Just curious.

2. Gen1SVE

Knife edge(ing) the inlet of the turbine housing if you weren't using a twin scroll hot side will help, no idea about the notch. Personally I knife edge the flange going into the turbine housing so the turbo or turbine housing can be sold as a unmodified piece down the road.

3. Boost Engineer

Twin Scroll works as you said on 4 cylinders and V-6s for low end transient torque and pulse tuning of the engine firing order is optimized.
    V-8 engines a lot of hassle to see any real benefit. Agree on the addition of a knife edged divider built into the mounting flange and leaving the turbo housing untouched.

Tom V.

4. BigDan

Thanks