1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sub par results at track with 76mm/5.3/FiTech 600

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Wildcamaro, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Wildcamaro

So I took my 81 Camaro with L33 76/65 to the track today and it under performed to say the least. 1st and 2nd gear the car ran great. Shift into 3rd and it didn't want to build boost or climb above ~3500 rpm. Now when I'm on the street and I mat it in 3rd from a ~40 roll it will build boost instantly all the way to redline. After looking through the data log it looks like AFR was at 10.4 when bogging. Im thinking my issues are based on too much fuel. Another part of me wonders if I am over powering the small 65mm turbine (2.25" hotside and fender dump 3" downpipe), but it's weird because like I said on the street I haven't seen this issue, it's only when making WOT pulls through the gears which I confirmed on the way home as I was pissed lol. any feedback would help.

As far as timing goes I'm running recommendation of sloppy base timing as a start 19@7 16@10 14@14.

2. M&M Turbochargers

those timing numbers may be for an ls engine

3. Mnlx

I believe he's running an l33 5.3. the turbine is definitely small, but I don't see it causing issues at 3500 rpm. You know it's rich, so I'd start there. What valve springs? Plug gap?

4. Wildcamaro

Yea it's an aluminum 5.3, valve springs are comp 918s (.600), running tr7s at 0.028"...I'm gonna leaning it out tonight, but just wanted to get opinions

5. Disney Lincoln

I'd be suspect of my WG and BOV.

6. Wildcamaro

Thankfully those have been consistent parts. Precision gate and turbo smart bov.

7. M&M Turbochargers

says right in the topic , sorry about that

8. TurboBu

Do you have any data logs of the runs? Others on here can probably help as yhe fitech stuff seems decently popular.

Recheck the basics also. I chased a bad Walbro pump out of the box for 3weeks before i caught it...

9. dodge turbo

Another issue ive read and expierance is not having it up to tempreture (180)

Especially when your sitting in the staging lanes. Mine is a pig if it isnt close to 180

I also read other people having the same issue

10. Wildcamaro

Thanks for the reply that's actually something I never considered...I did turn boost up to 15psi and finally was able to make a pass but still stupid rich at 10.4 even with my target AFR set at 11.5...this cool weather definitely doesn't let it heat up even with turbonpiping and all...gonna try maybe swapping in a higher thermostat and seeing what happens

11. dodge turbo

It took a while for mine to learn. The afr will adjust after some driving time and getting into boost

12. voodoochassis

in all honesty is the fitech worth the money i have been looking at buying the 1200hp kit but no one around here has any info on the system or using it yet..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  13. M&M Turbochargers

i sold silver bullet man one and his is working good send him a pm , i have a couple 1200's in stock

14. jay_rich

Doubt it's the issues but any reason for a tr7 at those levels? I've ran tr6s .030 at 13psi for a few years now. Buddy also runs tr6s at 16psi all pump gas.

Jay