1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fitech questions, been out of the game for a while (been doing a ton of reading)

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by cbibb, Sep 22, 2016.

1. cbibb

Hey guys just picked up a 88 foxbody mustang. Its been a little while since I have ben in the car game. The last time I was on here I built a blow through turbo carb set up with the help of Frank (dont know if he is still here or not). I have been doing alot of reading about this new Fitech set up and have a few questions. If I understand everything correctly, this unit come with EVERYTHING needed to run a turbo set up? Can I completely do away with the cars ECU and wiring? Will I need an ignition box to control timing for the car or does the Fitech do that as well? I used a Mallory 685 on the carb set up I had that worked great. My goal is to throw a set of heads/cam(mild)/intake/70mm turbo and have a fun little street car. Hope I am not asking questions too dumb, I tried to inform myself as much as possible before asking.

2. joeleodee

3. cbibb

Thank you very much!! WOW that little unit is amazing! There was nothing like that out last time I was messing with cars. Only thing I saw that I still had a question about. One area it says (taken from the site)

Use one whenever you would in a normal carbureted application. If you have one already, absolutely keep it! Our system works great with it. If you are expecting high RPMs, Boost, Nitrous… for sure you are going to want one BUT for the average street machine, you are fine without it. It’s up to you and your HP needs.

I am planning on running a turbo so will I need an ignition box still? Or will this control timing with a turbo? Thanks for the help and link!!

4. cbibb

Sorry I was referring to a separate ignition box in the above post.

5. joeleodee

This doesn't control timing per se. To use the timing control, you'd lock out the distributor and the timing would reference the timing table built by the user. There's a lot of advantages to this, however, it does not adjust timing based on boost. Timing with nitrous control is different.

And yes, Fitech recommends to run a cdi box with boost so I'd go with their recommendation.

6. 93weezer

If you can, use the msd 6530 for timing and let the fitech handle the fuel. Much Much less complicated and easier to control..
    93weezer

7. rdakota340

You will like this EFI system it's still amazing me how good it works by just wiring up a few wires :cheers:

8. cbibb

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I have definitely decided this is the way to go for me after reading for hours!!

9. 434josh

Actually it does adjust timing maps as the boost comes in. You have to activate some advanced tuning (pro-tuning as it is called in the handheld). It is a linear scale from 0 to 25 psi so if you are running 10 psi and you want to pull 10 degrees you need to do same ratio math between 10 and 25. If you tell it to set timing at 25 degrees @ boost it will retard to 25 on an incremental scale.

10. joeleodee

Yes, I was corrected on this the other day in this thread, post # 140 I believe.
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/380710-FiTech-Efi-company/page5

The more I'm reading, the more I've been able to find as far as the capabilities of this system. Unfortunately, a lot of that information isn't readily available

11. rdakota340

Yes there is no break down on what does what there's no manual. That is the only thing I dislike.

12. 434josh

On the plus side, there are lots of us running it so we are figuring things out. I have a YouTube channel with lots of info and so do plenty of others. Bryce @ fitech is also great. I email him questions all the time and he is always quick to respond.

13. joeleodee

Excellent. What's the YouTube channel?

14. 434josh

Here is a link to 1 vid. You can get to all my vids from there.
    I have more than just car stuff so if you are into racing drones, shooting machine guns or other cool stuff...enjoy. lol

https://youtu.be/WtSrW73-rOQ

15. dodge turbo

How long is the 02 sensor connection... I have a pretty far run to my down pipe

16. 434josh

3 feet or so. Pretty easy to extend. I am sure there are o2 sensor extender cables.

17. dodge turbo

Ok cool thanks

18. Silverbulletman

Bout this long [​IMG]#ad

19. dodge turbo

Ok yea my down pipe goes out the fron behind the bumper
    Im guessing ill need an extention... Have opened the fitech box yet to fiddle with it

image.png #ad

20. 434josh

If you put the o2 sensor within a foot of the turbo it should be plenty long enough. Before going turbo, I had mine run along side my transmission to about 6" past my full length headers collector.