1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wierd travel....quirks

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Daddy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Daddy

So the family and I just got back a couple weeks ago from Disney and we're getting ready again for a road trip up north this weekend and it started getting me thinking of all my weird travel quirks I have.

For instance:
    I have to pack double the underwear, socks, and t-shirts that's needed for the trip, but could give two shits if I have more than one pair of pants. Hell most of the time I just wear T-shirts on the trip.
    I have to make sure I've got some gold bond ball powder, but could care less if I pack a toothbrush.
    For some odd reason whenever I travel with the wife I have to bang in the hotel room, it's not an option, it has to happen or I won't leave the hotel.
    I don't sleep well in hotels so I'm usually up till 2-3 a.m., sleep till 5-6 a.m. and wake up perfectly fine. Makes for a fun week when I travel for work, ironically I'm not even tired until I come home, then it all hits me at once.
    I freak out on a plane when we take off, but flying and landing don't bother me.
    On the plane trip home from wherever we go as soon as I land I'm in "go home" mode and don't care who's in front of me as I'll push my way through. Makes it real interesting on the highway as I get a little aggressive, I've even passed snowplows......on the right, just to get home earlier.

So what are some of your weird travel quirks, or am I the only nutjob out there?

2. Drac0nic

Lets see here, in order of remarks:

-Always pack the extra shit, as said can't really say I care about having more than 2 pairs of jeans on a personal trip. ever. Could be a month, 2 pairs would be fine.
    -I dunno about the ball thing. Perhaps you have a personal problem? :dontknow:
    -Discovered condoms in a random hotel in ohio once. I believe you're not alone. May be the idea of marking your territory.
    -I sleep fucking awesome in hotels. For some reason I think I'm a fan of "foreign" beds. Maybe it's just that I'm a few years over due for a mattress.
    -Take off isn't bad, you don't freak out as bad as the guy on the last flight I was on. It was the second half of a connecting flight, the guy told me he took 3 Valium before he got on the plane, and if he wigged out break one in half and stick it in his mouth. That's pretty freaked out about taking off. It was still way better than the flight I connected from where it was a pond skipper that was having problems. Turned a nice shade of green because of that flight. There were only about 5 mechanics around the plane after we landed.
    -The only time I've ever gone batshit after flying is the time I went skydiving. They say the ride home is the most dangerous part, and they're not joking. I almost got plowed into by a mack truck, the guy was honking and slamming on his brakes while getting on to the highway. I thought I had way more distance than I did. My coworker at the time slept right through the whole thing!

3. Turbo-Box

-Unless I'm going more than 1000 miles, I would much rather drive than fly. I like to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
    -I would much rather travel along old US highways than the interstate. My wife goes along with this until I want to stop and check out any vehicle for sale that catches my interest
    -When on the road I refuse to eat at any chain restaurant unless there's no other choice. I like to experience the local flavor and will ask locals where the best joints are.
    -When I do fly I will pack as light as possible to avoid checking luggage at all cost.

4. BlownShovel

PISSED that you didn't take my family

agreed
    toothbrush
    it makes you feel better about the price
    Not as good as own bed
    Not a fan of flying but do it... probably more of the thousand of idiots at the airport and on the plane. Last summer I sat beside the "oh my god we're gonna die" guy
    Once on ground... just damn glad to be heading home to normalcy

5. Daddy

I've got a lot of problems......my sweaty nuts are the least of them. :D

6. Daddy

:D

I've had enough family for a while. A week in Disney, then shortly after a weekend up north. Thankfully though my kids are getting to that age of being able to swim on their own (with floaties and such) so I don't have to take my fat ass in the pool.

Which brings up another weird travel quirk, I can't stand public pools...which unfortunately is all my kids want to do in a hotel, go swimming. I just keep thinking that public pools are like swimming in someones toilet, which is why I'm glad they can do it on their own now. I just sit by the pool and drink.

7. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I prefer driving over flying. Mainly because of some of the characters I've ended up next to on some flights, and the hassle security and check-in has become.

I hate hotels. We switched over to using VRBO many years ago to get a rental home or condo, it usually comes out cheaper than a hotel, you get more room, everything is generally nicer and you can save even more money by eating 1-2 meals a day there instead of at a restaurant. Even better is when we find accommodations like a cabin at a state park.

I also loathe chain restaurants when I'm out of town. If I'm out of town I try to take advantage of something different, local food, etc.

Learned from a lot of business travel to pack as light as possible. It's a big time saver especially with air travel, and when you're tired after you get home there's less to unpack.

8. Disney Lincoln

I travel a lot for work. I used to do a lot of 1-2 night stays, now i'm more like 3-5 weeks overseas. I dont' really knotice any "quirks" per se but....

I am very intolerant of slow people in the airports. I cannot fathom the idea that everyone around me has never flown before. How the fuck did you think you were going to get that gallon jug of Koolaid through security?
    I waste time. I will drive around aimlessly into the night just exploring my new area. No maps, no destination usually. See a nice bar? Stop for a drink and keep going. I do that a lot.
    I get all gourmet on these fuckers. I'm already a professional eater, but when i'm travelling all best are off. When work is paying, I do it up pretty big.
    I never eat food that I can get back home. All the places I travel have something unique about them. I try to take advantage of that.
    Fuck your rental. I smoke cigars. Fuck you. I will smoke that mother fucker in every rental car from here to Dadsackastan. I may spray some Axe in the car when I fill it up before return. Maybe not. I don't fucking care. Smell my stogie, bitches!!!!
    I don't spend much time in the hotel. I am out exploring, eating, drinking too much. I come to the hotel in time to pass the fuck out. But I always book the nicest hotel my company will allow.
    Sleep in air. I find that I am usually asleep before we ever take off and rarely wake during flight. I feel this is an important step, at least getting SOME sleep on the plane. Once I board the plane I set my watch for the timezone i'll be landing in. This way I never ever feel jet lagged. Drives my wife nuts that I never jet lag. That makes me happier than anything.

bridal-shoal