1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Factory speed density help....

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by violentstang1998, Jan 23, 2019.

1. violentstang1998

I have an 86 Mustang GT 5spd convertible with speed density that I am planning to turbo soon and I want to go the late 80's early 90's route with it.
    I am wanting to use my my factory speed density setup with the following items...

An adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    24lb fuel injectors
    12:1 fmu
    Walbro high pressure 255lph fuel pump
    locking the timing out at 16 to start.

This will be with 10#s of boost and 93 octane 100% full weight street car.

The setup is a
    66mm single turbo setup
    Ported explorer intake
    75mm throttle body
    Stock cam w/ 1.72 roller rockers
    Tfs twisted wedge 170 heads

I'd like to get some advice and input from people who have actually done this. Any other pointers on things I may be missing is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

2. 91turboterror

You should really convert it to mass air or run an aftermarket ecm. You’ll need a mass air ecm and maf plug in addition to a blow thru maf calibrated to something like 42lb injectors that could cover you til 500 hp . What is your hp goal?

3. violentstang1998

I'm really not wanting to spend the money to do all that on this stock 302.
    I'm just wanting to do an old school setup for a fun street car with stuff I have.
    I'm shooting for 450+hp

I'm building a forged 351W on an engine stand that will get a stand alone setup for another car...I'd rather my money go to that setup instead.

4. ss496

Plug and play megasquirt from DIYautotune or a plug and play microsquirt from efi source would be a great affordable solution.

That thing will drive like garbage out of boost on 16* of timing

fastspec2 likes this.
  5. violentstang1998

I'll check them out. 16* is just where I planned on starting at...

6. 91turboterror

If you went the route with the maf conversion it would work on the 351 also.so ACTUALLY your not wasting your money. Like said before an aftermarket ecm like a Megasquirt would be another good option. I wouldn’t waste money on 24lb injectors and a fmu. Get 60 or 80 lb injectors with a blowthru maf and if you go mega squirt you won’t need injectors later

7. Disney Lincoln

There was no "old School" solution to the SD ecu, bigger injectors, and boost. We just never could make it work back then. You have to either change to MAF or use a stand alone EFI (Megasquirt). If you really want to go old school, get a carb. That works.

8. Mnlx

This. Pnp Micro ftw. You'll regret the money spent to try to make the sd work.

fastspec2 likes this.
  9. violentstang1998

I am gonna run the 351W in another car with microsquirt and E85.

All the parts mentioned I already have for the 302. So I just wanted to give it a try.

10. violentstang1998

I have seen other people make it work with good results in the early 2000's
    I know it's not the preferred way nowadays since all of the great technology out there...I already have all the stuff and I thought it would be fun to try to get to work.

I was really hoping someone who has got it to work with decent results would chime in.

I may just end up going with microsquirt on this project too then.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. violentstang1998

I already have all the parts was the reasoning wanting to give it a try...plus for simplistic reasons.

I may just end up with a microsquirt for this car too then.

Thanks.

12. Mnlx

If you have it... try it, you're not out anything but time, but locked timing, and a fmu are the opposite of what you want for a street car. Locked timing sucks out of boost, and the fmu will make the fuel curve way less than perfect in boost.

13. violentstang1998

I appreciate the help! I may give it a try and if it's horrible I'll just go with the microsquirt.

Thanks again!

14. ss496

if you run any significant boost with an FMU you will need to run 2 pumps in series.

Id also look into getting something to retard your timing in boost so you dont have to run it locked (example:MSD BTM). However.....that will cost as much as a microsquirt unless you get it used for cheap or free from a buddy.

15. Disney Lincoln

You won't find them because they don't exist. Or they will say it worked, but it only worked in their mind. a 24# injectors has 25% more flow than the stock 19# injector. That part alone wrecks the tune.

Can you slap a turbo on and make it run? Yes.
    Will it run great? Probably not.
    Will it blow up as a result? Probably so.

Look, I was there. I've tried this shit. It just doesn't work. I ran a blower on a SD car and used check valves and bypasses and FMUS and shit. Yeah, it ran. Yeah it made more power than stock, but it was a constant hassle and I went through more head gaskets than sheets of toilet paper in a given week.

T6Rocket likes this.
  16. 91turboterror

Do it right Don’t do it twice lol

fastspec2 and Disney Lincoln like this.