1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Different Length headers or Equal Length

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by ne0c0de, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ne0c0de

Hi everyone

I have just seen this link

http://www.howtodoitvideos.com/html/timed_exhaust.html

I wanna know what is the performance gain or disadvantage on using this headers on a Turbo application ?

To my belief an equal length will give powerful thrusts to the turbo but there can be restrictions inside the header tubes while timed headers can give an unrestrictive flow and give the turbo a good spool up. Is there a chance that there might be a pressure loss in this application?

wanna know more ....

2. SWT Racing

That is a kind of crude representation. A "true" system like what is being descibed would use a merge collector and a set of equal length 180° headers, since the exhaust on most V8's fires two cylinders one bank right after the other, instead of skipping one.

Besides, the whole principle is to scavenge the exhaust out of the chamber at the end of the exhaust stroke. When you have positive pressure in the exhaust on a turbo setup, the gains are practically negligible IMHO.

3. ne0c0de

Nice welding job in your website ...

So basically equal length is better than timed headers for turbo setups is what i understood.

Hey i have another question. I have a small garage and we plan to fabricate headers for turbo setups. What is an economic welding machine that can weld STAINLESS, MILD and occassionally a bit of aluminum for plenums and intercooler sheets?

Can you suggest any small machines ?

4. Goober

If you want to do aluminum you are going to have to get a Tig welder. I have seen the from $1,300-2500 for home use. My friend has a work site on an they run 7k. You can get away with a Mig at 175+ with the stainless but if you want to do AL u will have to have a Tig.

5. TurboNova

Equal Length?

I have dynoed several different header combo's and I also did alot of reading on headers before I built my first set. I don't buy the equal length theory unless you are alos tuning the intake and port runners also.

Here is a good example of what I found on the dyno.

Same engine and same day. One set of headers, came out of the head very straight about 5" or so and stepped from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" to 2" then 4" collectors and were very long headers

The second set were 2" all the way and turned out from the head right away, they were at least 1'-6" shorter and had 3 1/2" collectors.

Results were the 4" collector headers made 1 ft/lb of torque more and the shorter 3 1/2" collector headers made 1 hp more.

Not worth the trouble of making them equal length and different design theory.

When I build headers for customers I always look at the exhaust port size and make the headers fit well in the chassis. With a turbo you will find that you have pressure in the headers anyway and the equal length flow theory really doesn't apply.