1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Denmah's 5.3 LSx Turbo Fairmont...adventures of the new owner.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MBreinin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MBreinin

Hello, everyone, my name is Mike and I am the new owner of Matt's Fairmont. I know there is a good deal of interest in this car, so I figured I would update everyone on the car. I got the car from Matt back in January and I have been to the track three times since and have run a best of 10 flat at 139.6. This was with 17 psi of boost and no nitrous. With the new cam, the car should be able to replicate or best Matt's 9.95 @ 140. He needed 22 psi of boost to do that and a 125 shot.

Last time out, I broke the rear on the first pass....so it really has only been out twice. I also ran a 10.3 @ 134.5 on my very first pass in the car, on 13 psi. I am working on getting it to hook and getting the anti-lag dialed in. Best 60 foot so far is a 1.59, leaving on less than 8 psi of boost. If I can get it firmly into the 1.4s, it will go 9.6-9.7 I believe.

The rear is getting upgraded to a full 33 spline spool setup either this weekend, or early next week. Also, doing some low buck suspension upgrades (70/30s and 50/50s, lift bars...I already replaced the football with an airbag, LOL) and am considering a piston upgrade to the Wiseco JYD drop ins. I have not decided on that just yet.

Anyway, here is my YouTube channel which basically chronicles the car from the day I got it: https://www.youtube.com/user/mbreinin?feature=mhee

Feel free to subscribe for updates. I usually get a video or two up per week.

Mike

2. 1BAD6T6

Good to see the legacy continue. :cheers:

3. jaquetapus

Curious, what did you break in the rear end? That car had stock replacement Yukon axles in it already, didn't it?

4. MBreinin

Yeah, it had hardened 28 splines. I launched, pulled the fronts and then it spun. There was a huge crowd and I wanted to give them a good pass, so I kept my foot in it. It chattered pretty hard and then it freewheeled. Left was spinning and smoking, right was doing nothing. So, either an axle broke or the diff partially broke. I have rear discs, so I did not lose an axle. It drove home, but it was pulling hard to the right under load. 28 spline axles are just not enough when launching a car with 700 ft. lbs of torque on boost. I am shocked it lived this long.

Mike

5. reef

Great to see Matt's fairmont is still alive and kicking..i enjoy you r youtube channel.. Matt has been a huge help building and tuning my megasquirt

if you get a chance...check out my LSX swapped ford site..

www.hybrid-pony.com

thanks
    Trevor

6. Forcefed86

What are the specs on that new cam? It still had the ZR1 cam in it when you bought it right?

7. MBreinin

No, he put this in. It is a Texas Speed cam from his G8. 225-230, lift in the .620 range and 114.5 LSA, I think. It really woke up the car.

Mike

8. MBreinin

One axle snapped like a twig:

[​IMG]#ad

One bent like a pretzel:

[​IMG]#ad

The Lincoln Locker survived though. LOL.

9. stackz

I'm just curious what you paid for it?

10. MBreinin

I got it for what I consider a fair price. I find it interesting how many people ask me what I paid for the car.

11. MBreinin

Some updates.

The downpipe has been trimmed for a more stealthy look:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Spool and 33 spline axles are in:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. chiaj144

Didn't the old rear have the spiders welded up on it? I have the same 28 spline Yukon axles so I'm hoping it was the welded rear that wore them out. How do you find the noise with the down pipe routed like that. I may have to put mine out through the fender but I'm getting old and don't like loud cars anymore. Do you ever get exhaust fumes in the car? Thanks, Carl.

13. MBreinin

Yes, the rear was welded up. It survived, the axles did not. The DP used to come out past the fender. I have not driven it like this yet. It should not be too much worse as it is still angled outward. Before it was no big deal and did not fill the cabin with exhaust. I just wanted something a little more tucked away, so I cut it.

Mike

14. MBreinin

Some new videos.....

&feature=share&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA[/url]

&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=3[/url]

15. TDmkr496

Thats funny as hell

16. 70 bird

The video with pops is cool! My father is 70 and I still take him for rides in my car. I hit 15 psi. with my 455 pontiac and my dad just smiles, I dont think hes ever told me to slow down. He also helps me look out for cops. lol.

17. turbostang500

Dad vid is awesome! My dad always wants to be the first to go for a ride after tweaking things! haha

18. Turbo-Box

The dad vid is hilarious. My dad couldn't care less about my car stuff. I took him for a ride in my mustang when it was running 12's N/A and he was like "Don't do that!!!! It makes me motion sick!!!!"

19. MBreinin

Another video:

Some Pics:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I am getting ready to pull the motor and do the pistons again. This time I am probably ditching the stockers and going with the new Wiseco Junkyard Dog forged pistons. I also have a set of ported 243s ready to go on and I may consider a turbo upgrade. We will see.

Mike

20. bgjohnson

Are you still having smoking issues with the turbo?

Look at Comp turbos if you are looking for a change. Brian at B&G turbos is a dealer, good prices and great turbos.