1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Degreeing my cams in 03 cobra

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by BobSnake, Oct 16, 2009.

1. BobSnake

What should I set them at. I was set on 110/114 per the reccommendation of a very knowledgable source, but a comp computer dyno program shows good gains from setting them at 110/110. What do you guys think? They are 98 cobra cams, going in ported 03 heads, 284 ci, 9.2:1cr, 76mm turbo and an auto. Let me know what you think and why...Thanks!

2. juxtoposed

do the 110/110, it will spool faster, less time on the trans brake less time to kill thrust bearing. PTV clearance should be checked closely.

3. BobSnake

PTV clearance should be fine with stock cams. Will 110/110 actually make better power or just spool a little quicker. I am not sure at all here...

4. juxtoposed

It will lower the power curve about 500or so rpm, so peak numbers might go down a hair, but the area under the curve will go up, basically my opinion is the car will go just as fast but it will be easier to race.

5. 99TTGT

Can you elaborate on how you degree the cams , maybe post some pics
    that will help alot of people in here that ask that question all the time

6. juxtoposed

I have been on here since 03 and I have posted 152 times now, I'm not one to do alot of picture taking and step by step diy things, sorry for that. I use a stock lifter welded so to be solid and degree each cam as you would do a standard single cam motor. I use the centerline method. Do the cam with both gears on it first then the other one second, then on the other head do the same. I file the keyways to get the adjustment to get them where I want them, then use the arp bolts to hold them in position. Hope that helps some.

7. BobSnake

Anybody else? If I had a six speed I'd jump on 110/110 to help spool but don't know if it's worth it with an auto

8. BobSnake

Just talked to a few more people...looks like 110/110 it is! BTW I will be degreeing the cams same as above.

9. juxtoposed

Just curious, who else agrees with me? Anyone "important"?

10. Bangingears

don't know if i agree, but it will work. I have talked to john mohoitz(sp), mark@bullet, tim matherly, and many other on degreeing stock cams. I bought 7 sets of stock cams and degree'd them all to find the "best" set. Lets just say my icl is advanced even more then yours :D opionions vary widely

11. BobSnake

I think the 110/110 will work well on my set up. Is it "the best" I don't know, but I have talked to several people now and think it will work very well. Can't wait to see!

12. yan88gt

Only good for turbo 4V to advance cam timing? I have a 01 cobra engine with ported eaton and i'm about to degree my cams

13. Ninesecsnake

I don't use stock cams, but I have the intake at 110 and exhaust at 118.

14. BobSnake

Well I'm 1/2 way there... one intake cam and one exhaust cam set to 111. Was aiming for 110, but called 111 close enough.

15. 99TTGT

I agree
    every cam is diferent.
    what works for some ones cams maybe diferent on someones elses cams...

16. Turbo98

Degreeing the cams is definitely a large hassle.