1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Degreeing 4v turbo cams

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 98cobra281, Aug 1, 2015.

1. 98cobra281

Plan to finally degree my cams, the motor has been together and running for about a year and I never did it during the build because of funds and time, well I pretty much have everything sorted out now and figure its time to go ahead and check/degree them. It has stage 3 mmr turbo cams. Intake and exhaust center lines are 110* should I set them as is or make any changes?

The setup is...
    forged teksid
    navi heads, light port/polish
    mmr stage 3 turbo cams
    sullivan intake
    pt88 turbo
    powergilde

any help is appreciated!

2. ashford

id probably leave the intake as is and advance the exhaust about 4* or so

3. 98cobra281

So 110 on the intake and 106 on the exhaust? What does the advancing on the exhaust cam change? I'd like to get the car to spool a little faster if possible.

4. ashford

that would be 114 exhaust centerline. it would increase your icl to 112 from 110 depending on how big the cams are an icl of upto 116 would be ideal, like anything mmr sells you don't know details on stuff til its in your hands, cam specs would be very helpful. if these are really large you may not get the spool you like.

a few basics since intake and exhaust are independent its a bit more complicated

advancing the intake creates more low end torque na, in boost this creates more valve overlap which is not desirable with high pressure ratios as the scavenging advatage of overlap cannot occur with high backpressure

retarding the cam make better top end but has less cylinder filling( actually revesion happens too) at lower speeds because the intake valve is open longer and charge can be pushed back out if pressures equalise before it closes

advancing the exhaust helps 2 ways less valve overlap(see above) is better for boosted engines, opens exhaust valve sooner which helps empty the cylinder at higher revs, downside- if it opens before burn is done expanding, combustion energy is wasted= less efficient motor. generally this is at higher rpm denser cylinder fill. one of the biggest reasons alot of turbo cams have a reverse split design.

retarding the exhaust gets better fuel economy/emissions but creates more valve overlap and reduces torque.

if you want to play around with your cam specs check this out
    http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/CamChart/CamChartCandDr3-1.htm
    and more reference
    http://www.modularfords.com/threads/224873-FR500-Cams-Timing?highlight=camshaft timing

5. 98cobra281