1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

sbf cid/ heads for s 480

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 90lxrider, Feb 26, 2012.

1. 90lxrider

a buddy and i are looking to put together a dart block turbo SBF...it will have a s 480 on it..

i am wondering what cubic inch engine we should build...it will be a Windsor base motor...its not going to be max effort..street driven..we were thinking a big bore 400"ish motor..

also we are not sure on the heads...i was thinking of some 225 hi ports..
    but he can get a set of used ported vic jrs....they flow like [email protected]

any info would be appreciated!

2. racesloth

That S-480 is potent - search the the member who had an S480 on a 393 (or 408?) in a cobra kit car that made well over 900 to the tires

If it is not going to be a max effort - just build a .30 over 351W and let that 480 push it. There are plenty of guys on here with stock block/rod/crank combo's making great power - take the money saved on a stroker kit and use it for heads and high-quality arp fasteners.

Here are two cylinder heads that are often overlooked - but a good deal for the coin. I bought mine cnc'd for the same as out of the box vic jrs...

http://www.avengercylinderheads.com/catalog/11.html

http://www.avengercylinderheads.com/catalog/12.html

3. 90lxrider

Ok..well the max effort term is used loosely...he is looking to go high to mid 8s...it will be blow through..he is looking to build the short block once...

Now should we go with a big bore 4.125 or stay with 4.030 ??

He wants to build a big like 434..but i tell him thats to big for the turbo he has and you don't need a big cubic inch motor to make big power

4. skip

Most of the time big cubic inches don't win, unless its an all out race car with the best of the best. Kinda like money unlimited.

5. brianj5600

What turbine? If it is a small turbine make the motor small as you can. If it is the big turbine and you want the most out of it I would still stay with around 370 inches. Is the block already bought? Turbo?

6. Andy Dorsett

If you want to extract the most power from that turbo you have to build an engine that makes modest N/A power (500Hp). This does not mean you can't go big cid. It means you can't have big cid and big rpm at the same time. A 434 with a modest cam and modest intake such as a TFS-R or victor 5.0 will make huge torque, only rev to 5500ish and be fine for that turbo. Using big cid engines and choking them with intake and cam makes them have a stock engine type power curve. They have excellent idle, excellent off idle performance and spool turbos insanely fast. No need for a trans brake with this type of engine as it will launch well simply foot braking it.

7. racesloth

5.7Bandit on here last I saw went 5.40's (good for mid-8's) with a 347 and an S480 blow through. If he wants to build then you are looking at a dart block I assume...

8. 90lxrider

he already has the turbo..1.32ar

he is wanting to buy the block like this week.....should i have him get a standard 4.000 bore and go .030 over and stay under 400" or get the 4.125 bore and just over 400"

this is going to be a blow through setup

9. racesloth

go with the big bore 4.125 to unshroud the valves and keep the stroke at 3.75 or so

10. sarg

Call me crazy, but I am putting a 480 on a 5.3 and it has the t6 96mm turbine! Just have to pick my cam and we will be ready to build.

11. fordtechguru

the big bore will make better power overall but the headgasket sealing can be tricky @4.125" with 10 bolts. i would get the 4.0 bore and have the ability to bore it later to whatever you want..