1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Decapping injectors, what are the pros and cons

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by actmobmar, Mar 28, 2019.

1. actmobmar

I have a fitech 1200 pa, and I'm going to need to upgrade the injectors for my power output. So what is the deal with decapping? Is it a worthwhile mod?

2. Mnlx

Not all can be decapped, and the main issue I see is that you may need numerous injectors to find a set that have matched flow rates. Some are very close, and i've heard others say they needed 2-3 sets to find 8 that were workable as a set.

3. fastspec2

I have a really nice injector flow bench and i have found that static open, decapped injectors have a pretty high likelihood of having a wider range of flow rates. Up to around 95% DC a very large portion of the injectors (LS gm injectors) I have tested are really pretty close.

actmobmar likes this.
  4. Mnlx

Good to hear, i'm just going on what I saw on a few boards, and from Sloppy Mechanics, and Eric Derr. I have access to a flow bench as well, and plan to decap, and test a bunch of ls injectors here in the next couple weeks.

5. actmobmar

I just talked to fuel injector clinic (our local shop), they apparently have a tool/machine to decap them and flow them, but needs to see them first. I don't think it would hurt it if the flows rates differ, as they are injecting behind a ring in each bore of the throttle body

6. Mnlx

That's a good point, one would think a tbi should be less of an issue.

7. actmobmar

I know there is something I have to change in the computer settings, I suppose I could average all the flow rates and input the number

8. westcoastwrenchin

I looked into decaps and theres a guy on ebay who sells some which have been flow matched. Honestly though you can get s good set of deka 80s for $250 used which is the route I went. Why chance it for a hundred bucks on such an important item?

9. Mnlx

They're much more cost effective if you have the used injectors laying around because you bought complete engines. The cost is pretty minimal at that point.

With all the Deka copies (and others) out there be careful and do your research. I've run across a couple used sets on marketplace that i'm convinced were copies, and they were asking genuine prices..

10. 65ShelbyClone