1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

351 windsor coil on plug set up

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by HENRY, Nov 27, 2016.

1. HENRY

Anyone on here have a coil on plug setup for a 351 windsor? If so can you give out some details on what it takes to convert to this from a distributor. I am in need of some help.

2. Matt Cramer

What ECU are you using?

3. HENRY

mega squirt 3

4. Matt Cramer

Best bet is going to be a 36-1 crank trigger and a one tooth cam trigger - either a cut down factory distributor or the Price Motorsport cam sensor package.

5. HENRY

Thanks I completely forgot about them.

6. 92LX-5.8

7. brianj5600

My project is stalled but have the cam and crank sensor done. The crank trigger is a 36-1 DIY Autotune wheel and sensor. I used a piece of scrap metal to make a mount for the sensor. The timing tab was cut off the stock pointer and welded to the sensor holder. I needed .100" spacer to make the pulleys line up so I used a spacer that I cut down to .100" that left a ring to center the wheel and pulley.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The 302 cam sensor housing would probably have worked with A V6 shaft, but the diameter where it went into the block is smaller on the 302. It moved around more than I liked and even though the hold down clamp would have held it in place, it might have had some bind. I have a friend with a lathe so I cut the top off of Explorer cam sensor and put it on the bottom of a 351w distributor. The 351w distributor had a really long bushing that extends about an inch into the distributor base. There was still enough bushing above the cut that I was able to press the Explorer top on. There is really no load on the Explorer piece of the housing. I just used J&B Weld for extra holding the 2 pieces together, but the bushing pressed into both pieces was plenty solid. The punch is at the line where the two pieces meet. The shaft is from a V6 cam sensor. I am pretty happy with the end result.

[​IMG]#ad

Drac0nic likes this.