1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dead battery Question

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Whiskey, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Whiskey

After having my turbo installed I have been noticing my battery going dead if I do not start it up every day. The battery was out of the 2001 Mustang GT for a good 6 months during the install. When I got it back in October / November there really wasn't enough time to drive it. Once it starts I could drive all day without worrying it will stall or go dead again. My questions would be do I need a bigger alternator? Is my alternator shot with 40 thousand miles on it? Is there a short someplace? Or could it just be that I need to give the battery a good time to recharge? Any ideas for a starting point would be good right now, I'm lost.

2. bgjohnson

Measure the voltage when it's running. It should be above 13.5. It sounds like you have a draw issue. What electronics did you add to the car when you went turbo? Was it all on a "key on" source?

3. Disney Lincoln

SOunds like the battery just went bad from sitting. It happens.

4. Mnlx

This is what I try to do.....Give the battery a good slow charge, then load test it, if it tests good test for draws, and for proper alt output.

5. Rickracer

I would check for a draw with the key off, sounds like something is pulling it down when it's not running. Then like the above poster said, verify the battery health by a good slow full charge, then a load test. :thumbsup:

6. Whiskey

Great, thank you all for a starting point! I had no idea where to start. Going to check it out this weekend.