1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BS3 Breaking up when boost comes in.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by CRISPYSQRL, Sep 19, 2007.

1. CRISPYSQRL

Ok I am not very knowledgeable with the BS3 or tuning in general. But I am having some trouble with my car breaking up when it start to come into boost. I have richened it and leaned it and it still has some trouble. Any suggestions??

A few things about my car. Its a 408 ls motor, staged injection (30#and 96#),twin t-66 turbos.

Thanks in advance.

2. ShaneH

It's not the BS3. it's either your tune. Or the ignition. What's your ignition? What plugs and how are they gapped?

3. CRISPYSQRL

Well I didn't think it was the BS3 I meant that is the EM I had. I think it is something in the tuning or other settings. Stock LS1 coils, #8 temp race recessed NGK-4554 gapped @ .030

4. ShaneH

How much boost are you running? At what point does it start breaking up? Gap your plugs down to .025 and try it again. If that clears it up, increase the gap to .028 and try again. What is your target AF ratio where it starts to break up and how closely is it following? Is it having to correct any? Who tuned the car intially or are you just now getting it running. Do a datalog of a run and email me the calibration file and the datalog to
    This content is protected
    and I'll take a look at it.

5. Saleen91

Sheesh... there's that Shane guy again...trying to help somebody. ;)

*ding* you've got mail!

6. CRISPYSQRL

Ok the is a brand new setup, I have a friend who is a tuner helping me but he doesn't know the ins and outs of BS3. So this is the initial tune. I am on 8psi (waste gate spring pressure) for now. Its starts to break up around 3500rpm or higher, its more when the map starts to get near positive MAP (less the 2psi) then with RPM. If you are talking about useing any learning it is all off and in open loop. But the A/F is adjustable we can set it rich or lean but once it starts to make boost it seems like the fuel is cutting off then on.

I erased all the logs cause they were all the same. I will try the plug gaping, then log some and send it to you with the config file.

Thanks again,
    Darrell

7. INTMD8

You probably have too big of a split between injector sizes. The primary set can not be set to switch at higher than 80%, and the second set will switch off at 20% and below (not adjustable)

So, if you reach 80% on the primary injectors and the 96's turn on you're likely immediately dropping below the 20% dc shutoff and it will continue to switch back and forth rapidly causing it to run like complete shit.

Without changing injectors you could raise the fuel pressure of the primary injectors and lower the fuel pressure on the secondary injectors (and re-scale in the ecu accordingly). Or you may have to buy either a larger primary injector or smaller secondary injector. You need it to NOT drop below 20% at the switchpoint. If on your data log it shows 22% or higher when the injectors switch you likely have another problem, but according to John Meany the system should be used with all 16 injectors of the same size.

8. ShaneH

Ahhhhh, I missed that it was staged injection with those injector sizes. Yeah, you'd be better served with twin 83s or 50/83s rather than the 36/96 due to the way the staged injection works. I'm not a big fan of the 96s, either. They have a crap spray pattern.

9. MEAN_SBC

Check your plugs.

Mine did the same things, and the plugs didn't look too bad to me. I switched to some new plugs, and it'll rip the guts out of a chain-mailed gorilla now. 8)