1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Strange Issues: Smoke billowing out breather, Stalling, Etc

Discussion in 'Pushrod Tech' started by Mitch, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Mitch

Hey guys wondering if you could give some insight in to some small problems I'm having.

I have a freshly built motor: Boss block, Eagle crank + rods, Diamond pistons with hellfire rings, Solid roller, Felpro MLS gaskets. Canfield heads, Spyder JR intake, T-76bb, Maybe 100-200km total. All in short bursts 3km each way to work. maybe hitting 160F coolant temp on the way to work.

It's been -5C to -10C. Car has been working perfect. Decided to bring it indoors and let it thaw. Go to drive it out. Won't idle. Have to rev it over 2000 to keep from stalling. Make it down the back alley. Car stalls. Try to turn it over. Won't turn over. Lights dim completely as if a dead short or block is seized. Wait a couple mins... fires up. Same thing. Need to hold it at about 2000 to keep from stalling. Decide to return vehicle to indoors. Make it back to the end of the alley. Same thing happens. Stalls. Car is completely dead upon crank. Let it sit a few mins. Fires up like a charm. Smoke starts billowing out the breather big time! Like. Looks like an underhood fire big. Then returns to working perfect. Like nothing has happened! Drive home. No problems. Shut off car. Suddenly it starts smoking out a ton of the breather again.

I only have 1 breather on the drivers side. Am I running in to extra condensation due to only one breather?

WTF is going on in that crankcase!!!! I'm still running regular oil 10w30. Oil pressure seems normal! No knocking. Just ticking from the solid lifters. Why would it stall/run rough and act like it was seized???

I had starter issues before with heat. But this kit has all the piping on the drivers side and the starter is pretty much new.

2. bgjohnson

What's your coolant test to? Potentially a crack somewhere due to water expansion. Check your oil/coolant.

If it was never tuned for cold weather, could just be temperamental and rings haven't seated yet. Then the starter issue is starter related. Hope it's the later. Time to warm it up in the garage and try it again to see if it reacts differently.