1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

d-i-y intercooler

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by turbojunkie50, Jan 27, 2008.

1. turbojunkie50

When i decided to go with custom headers and gt 4788's i was going to buy a pre-fabbed intercooler box but i didn't have the any room aroung the engine so i built one.
    So i took a edelbrock street ram intake, cut the top flange off and welded a plate to it.
    I wanted to be able to inspect the cores because of all the minerals that could be deposited in the coolers so we built it to be able to check the cores by removing a cover plate.
    We used 2 1000 hp for the cores,welded them together side by side.
    Built a tank that we welded to the back of the coolers and then a flange on the front so i could slide the cooler in and out.It worked out well because the coolers sit in the cover where it funnels down to the intake.

2. turbojunkie50

Here is some pictures.

3. turbojunkie50

4. turbojunkie50

1 more pic.I have more if anyone is interested.

5. GAWnCA

Great work. I wish mine were going to be that easy to set up an intercooler for. I'll be using TPI and need to keep everything looking compact for a boat. More photos please and tell me where you bought the cores?

6. BAD69BIRD

Yeah I like the idea of removable cores I may use that when I build one for my boat.

I have never done it with cars because I didn't need to but with the salt water and river water I may need to.

7. xssive99

Nice work. Who makes the cores?

8. blk mk8

they looked like Garret 1000 hp cores to me. in my build i used 2 of there 750 cores.

9. king coupa

that's pretty badass. nice

10. Mark55

Here's a picture of my intercooler box and core.
    The core is an AC evaporator core from a Lexus. It was new in the box for $ 107.
    It is 11" x 9" x 3 3/4" thick.
    The line connection point was real convenient on this core.
    The whole thing mounts on top of a single 4 intake manifold.

I pressure test all of these things now. Held 40# for 24 hrs.

11. BAD69BIRD

shouldnt the cores be flipped sideways?

12. Mark55

Maybe it's hard to see in the picture but both throttle bodies come in above the top of the core.

13. Mark55

Some updated info on my DIY intercooler IAT's

WOT for 5 seconds @ 7300 rpm @ 25 # boost
    Starting IAT 75 degrees
    Maximum IAT 105 degrees
    Works for me :2thumbs:

The temp rise lags a couple seconds behind the WOT point and the temp is still rising after the throttle is cut back to 30%