1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cylinder Filling

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by nealysa, Jan 12, 2009.

1. nealysa

When a fuel injector fires a pressure wave is created. Concerning Helmholtz resonance and cylinder filling, how does this pressure wave affect cylinder filling?

2. Boost Engineer

JMO, You have a fuel injector which in production uses typically a 39 psi rail pressure through a small orifice. You have a much larger area in the port vs the orifice diameters in the injector. My opinion would be that the valve dynamics would mask any fuel injector "Helmholtz resonance".

Tom Vaught

3. nealysa

Probably an odd question, but I appreciate it, Tom.

Sean

4. ford-swap

Don't worry about the effect of the fuel injection spray on the air pressure waves. It really is like pissing into the wind. The wind blows regardless. The evaporation and puddling effects of the fuel, now there is something of interest.

-Rob

5. nealysa

Thanks Rob. The wetting effects of the fuel are interesting and probably beyond the scope of most. Certainly beyond me for the most part.

Sean