1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

VVIM Plenum Volume in turbocharged 4 cyl engine

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MrDangerUS, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MrDangerUS

Hello,

I'm prototyping a variable volume(NOT variable runner length) intake plenum for t 2.2L, 4-cyl, 16v, turbocharged engine and have a few questions.

Analyzing Italia 458 IM design, one can notice 3 various valves showing the proficiency of engine designer in figuring out how to command and control the resonances. The center valve couples the two plenum air boxes (L&R) to broaden the TQ peak downward on the RPM scale. The other 2, located on the ends, provide stronger coupling 'path' for the resonating charge, enhancing TQ even lower in the RPM scale. The defined volume air boxes, when connected/coupled, broaden the power band so the engine is more tractable at the lower(?) RPM band far from peak TQ & HP.

Although there are several research papers on N/A engine VE increase whilst the plenum volume is increased, I could not find too many in regards to super/turbo charged engines. Could you give me any pointers?

Surprisingly, I have even encounter an opinion, that "forced induction negates any need or benefit and the NA region has too small a span to affect".
    IMO, turbocharged engine still benefits from a tuned intake. After all, it's the same engine/principles, but operating under pressure. Tuned IM does give the engine an opportunity to wind up the boost more effectively.

Among the other, I found papers which inspired me to proceed with this project
    VVI may be beneficial for turbocharged engines.

The gist of it is here: http://planetsoarer.com/resonator/ResonatorsAcoustic.htm
    and here
    http://gasturbinespower.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/article.aspx?articleid=1425888

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_3657.JPG #ad

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. 91turboterror

Turbos basically exagerate hp and torque

3. Pro-SC

I would post this in the Adavanced Tech section of the forum. Tom Vaught is the moderator and has a lot of knowledge on intake manifold design.