1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

another turbo size question

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by brngrhd, Jul 28, 2010.

1. brngrhd

Will a schwitzer BHT3B 167050 work on a 383SBC. the motor that is in the car now is an unknown 383 and will get swapped out for some other stronger built better unit.

2. nos10racer

it moves a little less air then a s400 but right around the same. they came with a few different ex. housings so depending on your over all power goals. i would use it if you already have it though

3. brngrhd

thanks for the input. I'm only looking for 650-700WHP at most and from the looks of what i could find it has the 26cm housing which i think is the smaller one..... not sure what that meens but.......

4. turbofreek

do not take advice from a newby on turbo selection when they don't know what they are talking about. Jfyi

5. nos10racer

:booty:

a simple search on google will bring up this turbo number on the pulling/diesel forums who been using these turbos for years. they compare them to the s400 but say it flows slightly less air but still a great turbo.

6. turbofreek

News flash spool characteristics are not the same as the s400. Diesel turbo are a tough match unless proven by others that they can be based off of. Sometimes tech is not to make one reinvent the wheel when other equally priced options are readily available. We don't give out advise based on hearsay and the internet. Most of us have worked damn hard and done these things already to save others the troubles. So please stop giving advise when you clearly don't know what your talking about and just guessing shits going to work.

7. nos10racer

you just like following me around and arguing.

simple question he is asking is will this work ? i said if it were mine i would which is what i would do. that dosent make it wrong ? no it is what i would do. did you do any searching of this turbo ? you find any info ? i took time searched, read, posted what i found to be facts basted on research i did. sooooo :fu:

8. brngrhd

so are you saying that this will not work? or you don't know? or what? I can get it for cheap that is why im looking at it. but would rather not do it more then once.......

9. turbofreek

an s400 asks for around 550 bucks as does a mpt76. Like i said don't try to reinvent the wheel. I'm just trying to save you the headache and double the expenses you don't need. That is why we are here, to help.

10. brngrhd

thanks

11. brngrhd

can you show me where to get an S400 for 550?

12. turbofreek

try a site sponsor

13. brngrhd

guess illl look again i have looked before and all the stuff i saw for s400's was like 1300.... or you could post a link if you know of a place.

14. TTFBDY

Forced Inductions - $600 w/T6. Took < 2 min to find/scroll to.
    $1200 is for different options.

What heads and cam? You might need more compressor.

15. brngrhd

TBD might need more compressor then a t76? I have a buddy that has some heads that he got on a motor that had all the casting stuff ground off had them gone threw by an engine builder here and they had to put two new valves in it (water in a cylinder rusted the block and the valves I'm guessing) heads flow 263 intake 181 exhaust i guess....... cam TBD whatever it needs. all im really looking for is something that will make about 650-700hp

16. brngrhd

since you the mastern of searches or i'm a fucking tard post a link since i have not seen one from FI

17. TTFBDY

Code:
    S400-75 ETT** 1000 1.32 96mm T6 $599
    S400-75 ETT* 950 1.10 83mm T6 and T4 $599
    http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

Ask Jose which one will work best for you.

I looked for a few hrs last night unsuccessfully trying to find the specs on some diesel app S400's on clearance for about $450.

I like these too if you want to go faster....see Blown385's build. He tows a small boat with the second turbo below.
    Stock block, the 75 can break it.
    Code:
    S400-80 ETT** 1050 1.10 92mm T6 and T4 $1239
    S400-80 ETT* 1025 1.10 87mm T6 and T4 $1249 

18. junk

The last ones I saw were $400 each. Where are they doing the clearance for $450?

19. junk

Not if you can get the turbine maps and compressor maps. Just knowing the wheel size and A/Rs can get you close enough using similar maps.

20. turbofreek

not really true. You can guess without maps, but that's all it is. A guess. Good example is the 76mm turbo selections available out there. Some are good to 700hp while another is good to 1200hp. That's a large range to not guess on in the power department. And those could be the same a/r and wheel measurements. There's a lot to consider when selecting a diesel turbo. That's why we suggest not to reinvent the wheel here. If you want proven then go with what is. Could it work? Sure, but is it going to perform well like an already known turbo? That's a guess I don't want to be the one to spend on it to find out.