1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Custom TWIN setup on 05 6 speed GTO(stock motor)

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Smoove, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Smoove

Long story short, this is a project that my cousin and I started a while back. Thanks to local companies like Race Parts Solutions, and MikeTurbo, this was all possible. AA performance made the manifolds based off our design, then we had Florida Performance make our hot-cold side pipes. My cousin and I have been working on the car for a very long time now, in tandem with our other projects...and it has been a long, long road. All in all, all I need to di is install the OIL return pump, route the oil feed-drain lines(already ran-just button up)...install the injectors, and get the car tuned.

Running two 60-1 schweitzer cartridge's and exhaust housings(T3/T4), master power compressor housings, GT35R wheels. Custom 1 3/4 tublar manifolds, two 2 1/2 inch downpipes. Two RPS BOV's, 38mm turbosmart wastegates. Treadstone intercooler. 80lb injectors. walboro single 255. All HOT and COLD side pipes were coated by calico coatings in jet black-thermal coatings. We then WRapped everything in titainum lava wrap we got from the boys at RPS. All blankets, fittings, lines,.flanges... everything pretty much. Thank you Darren, John, and Rob. You guys rock. All in all, we are thrilled with the outcome as far as looks go. We now are ready to get this thing cranked up,..and make it a narley street terror.

This car went 12.7 off the highway with a FAST 90, diablosport custom tune, and a cold air elbow. Thats it. We basically wanted to make the goat capable of running with the MAJORITY of the cars you'd run into on the highway, since this is primarily what this car is used for, occasional 2-3 hour drives,... looking for nothing but trouble. Anyways...here she is....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

more...

2. Smoove

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Smoove

....looking for 600-650rwhp on 10psi.

4. GangBang Malloy

damn man that looks really good, honestly. those have to be one of the best thought out turbo manifold designs i have seen on a GTO. it wouldnt be a bad idea to base a kit off this for the GTO crowd as our turbo options are really limited and need some real power besides the maggies and tvs blowers. those manifolds and piping paired with twin GT35R's equal 1000rwhp potential. :cheers:

hows the fit? does anything come close to rubbing? and was anything relocated other than the battery?

600-650rwhp on 10 psi is very possible but the bottom end might not enjoy that for too long lol.

5. LT1-TA

You would be very surprised how long the stock bottom end will take ten pounds mate....

And note the the OP... a single Walbro 255 is gunna be out of steam at 550hp. might wanna put another one in there. Cheap enough at only a hundo a pop.... get another

6. Smoove

Thanks man, we agree. It did come out pretty functional it seems. We hope it performs well. We have without a doubt always had the idea to mock this kit for fellow goat owners, we just never got around to any sort of doing it, on any level. Just too many things going on honestly man. One day, we hope.

A few things did have to be relocated. The ABS module, we I think twisted(clocked), and re-bent the factory lines. My cousin josh made a bracket out of aluminum extrusion he had laying around. The radiator,...man it's been soo long, I think we just removed some rubber fittings/bushings, and a bracket back, I believe. We then tilted/raked the radiator back, so we can have the charge pipe coming up and over the center, and out the intercooler, as close to throttlebody as we could. As little bends as possible. This cost us nothing but a little time. We opt'd to reolcate the PCM inside the car, at the drivers left foot kickpanel. I think autos have them there. This made it much cleaner for our routing. We also reolcated/replaced the coolant expansion tank, as well as the windsheild washer jug. ALl that factory stuff is soo large,..it was easy to want to replace. This car is a daily style use car, so we wanted to keep every creature comfort and capability of the car so anyone could drive it, hassel free. Hoiping we achieved that.

The power potential is well up there, I agree. These LS motors really loved turbo charged boost. I agree with you on the possability of something failing but, my TT corvette lasted a good amount of time with a STOCK shortblock, and almost 800 wheel without any issues. Its all in the tune, and all in the fueling.

As you mentioned the battery had to be relocated, and honestly, lol,..i'm not too sure we can fit airfilters on this beotch. So,... gonna have to maybe look into some screens I guess. In my drawing I did have provisions for the filter, my budddy just didnt make room for them.

7. Smoove

I agree. Ran 11.5 psi on a 346ci with heads and cam, making 787rwhp on 12 degrees of timing. That car was on a single walboro, as was out of fuel @ 5500 rpms,...which is where it was shut down. But,..thats on a C5,...different pickup-different system.

I had always feared the single would be our biggest drawback on the GOAT,....I still feel that way. But, recently a dude with a built bottom end only, twin 57's,...and a single walboro, made 700+(I believe) on 14 psi, and no other engine mods(just a forged LS2). So, that gives us hope for sure in the THEORY that it may work. But, you know as well as I do,..the dyno isn't the street,.... the system may be able to handle the dynoe for a quick rip,...but not the 4th-5th gear pulls.

We'll look into it. Do you buy a kit for that for these cars?....(hat-wireing-etc)

Thanks for your comments, feedback, and insight fella's....we appreciate it.

8. GangBang Malloy

sounds like there were quite a few things moved lol

i think someone needs to base a kit off the way the APS one is setup as it works pretty well and pair it with a set of GT35Rs.

i agree the 10 psi wont kill it but anything past 600rwhp ( close to 700hp at the crank ) and the life of the engine is numbered and ticking away. yeah a good tune will let it live longer but its always a good idea to have a forged assembly just in case :)

9. Smoove

Yeah, a few things but, its still useable, and very, very streetable for daily driving. Hell, I used my 780rwhp ++ vette for daily driving for some time,..on the stock bottom end. Again, all in the tune, all in the fuel, and all in the operator. Those things are cruical. I could, take the car to 7000rpm but,..why, why stress it when your making that much power, on a stock bottom en? So, short shifting(6000K)... no over revs, proper plugs,.. all really matter.

The APS kit is cool BUT,..with kits like that,..if you have seen some of those APS style kits, or any kit just about, that goes into an OEM STYLE application, there is ALOT of corks and bottle necks. because there trying to make it CARB cert or, trying to CRAM everything in, without relocating anything. Well, thats cool but, you sacrifice performane,..in effort to utalize the space given. We really didnt wanna go like that... Yes, people make power on those style kits but,..i'll use my vette as an example. nobody,..with my cubic inches, at my boost level, in a vette, makes the kind of power that I make, at the boost level, with or without more cubic inches. The style of my kit(pro turbo on the vette),...is soo much more effiecent, it's of the charts. My buddy in his 18psi lingenfelter vette at 16psi makes 6800rwhp...I make 100rwhp more, on 11psi. We are hoping to have followed that outline with the Goat(compairing to an APS goat)

10. Smoove

[​IMG]#ad

The car is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Front bumper, install 80lbers, install base tune, install gauges, street tune, then dyno tune.... and we are in business. Trying to upload videos right now.