1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Custom turbo 4.6 Mustang

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by FEAR ONE, May 3, 2007.

1. FEAR ONE

Ok im doing a DIY turbo kit and im wanting to put the turbo in the midle of the front bumper as high as posible. I might even block off the grill and make something custom to delete the grill with a vent of some kind for the turbo so I can bring it up higher. What I am wondering is how high would the return line have to be so I dont have to use a oil pump. My next plan is to run my exhaust through the inside of the fenders up and over the tires on the pass side and same on other side. Thanks for any replies

2. pdonk93lx

I dont think Its going to be worth all that work, especially if you plan on using that "xspower" unit, they do not have the greatest reputation.You would be happier spending a little more for a much higher quality unit. But I will help you a little bit with the oil drain, you want it to be able to flow smoothly, and know that its gravity that is returning the oil, not pressure; with that being said, it should have a steady downward angle, preferably as straight as possible, with no uphill turns whatsoever. As far as routing the exhaust inside the fenders, hope your handy with a welder!! ;)

3. FEAR ONE

but would any where in the mid part of the front bumper be a good hight so that the oil drains, also where do I put the drian line in the oil pan. I have seen some turbo units where the thurbos are in the front bumper, do they have oil pumps. I know that the turbo has a bad rep, and plan on buying a better one in future. This setup will be done very cheap becuase one of my friends own a muffler shop and has offered to help me out.

4. pdonk93lx

What is your reason for wanting it up in the front bumper? Also what year is the car? What is your budget also, as this will play a big part in what you plan on doing. Are you trying to keep everything out of the engine compartment?

5. FEAR ONE

I Want a unigue custom build, my car is a 2003 mustang GT a/c and anti lock brakes = no room underhood. My goal is to do this under 2000, I was thinking of doing a rear mount with the single t4 but dont really know the how much more lag ill have vs the front mount. I dont care that much about the lag as I get an increase in hp about 30 to 50 percent. The car will have full bolt ons with 3.73 stock bottom end and 56,435 miles.

6. pdonk93lx

Honestly I would suggest looking into a remote mount, I think you would be better off, spool time will not be an issue, if you do some research and pick a properly sized turbine housing. Also the 3.73 gear will be a little much, I have 3.55's and personally I would enjoy driving, and the gas milage much morer with a 3.27 or even a 3.08 gear. But in your case, you could probably score a decent turbo and try to pick up some mandrel U-bends or doughnuts, and make a cold pipe from the rear of the car. Also with a charge pipe running from the back to the front, you would probably get away with making 7-10 pounds of boost without an intercooler. I know you are trying to shy away from running a pump for oil drain return, but you have to weigh out the pro's and con's. Keep in mind you WILL need a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors at the least, and definatly some type of chip/tune. that right there will set you back well over 500 bucks!!

7. JoeySperz

something like this?

8. pdonk93lx

:eek: That thing looks N/A with a cold air kit, from under the hood..... Trick!

9. JoeySperz

not too stealth with the huge front mount and BOVs in the front though

im not a fan of the stealth though :D

10. FEAR ONE

Not quite, I was wanting to do a single turbo build but have the turbo in the middle of the front bumper in the grill area. Im handy with fibergalss so I was going to fab the grill area on the front bumper with a hole that exposed the turbo in some way.

11. Bridge Racing

Here are a couple of pics of our turbo mod motor, 1 with the bumper off and one with it on.

No problems with oil return.

I do have to say that unless your really going for that look I would probably put it else where.

If this is a street car keep in mind you should be trying to package an air cleaner/filter as well.

Our turbo ended up there for the main reason that we just liked it.

The turbo is spinning way to fast to actually force feed the turbo, the only real performance advantage if you could call it that is cleaner air.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. FEAR ONE

very nice car, thats about the same place where I want my turbo but I just want the inlet visible. I should have more room to play with than that because thats a huge turbo. I also planed on removing the front and rear metal bumpers im hoping that they take off a good bit of weight.

13. Bridge Racing

The front and rear bumper/supports are each around 20 lbs.

Not sure if you have 'accessories' hanging off the front of your engine but keep that in mind when you starting mocking up where your dump pipe is going to route.

Joey.

14. frozenphil

He might also want to look into whether or not he needs a streetable radiator....

Many people have fit single systems inside the engine bay on modular cars and kept the AC and PS. You're going to make a ton of compromises if you mount your turbo in the grill like a race car.