1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Custom sts style turbo setup gearing question????

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 97svtsnake, Nov 25, 2007.

1. 97svtsnake

as stated on a normal turbo located near the engine loading is needed to get it to spin up....so with my car now i needed to have it load a bit more not to mention steep transmission ratios and my 4.56s would no longer be needed so i picked up a set of 3.27s....but here is the catch now in this setup does my gearing need to be that high still or do i need to push it down a bit say 3.73 or a bit lower since sts cars A/R ratios are two steps smaller so the lag aspect is gone or very little.....what do you guys think i should do ?

2. big dave

If you are running the right size turbo for your application then you will do better with the 3.27's whether the turbo is mounted traditional or out back. The steeper the gear the less time you have in boost/to build boost in each gear.