1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cummins F450 power joke

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Remote Booster, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Remote Booster

well iv come to see that my f450 needs a turbo, Injectors, and hpop to run right the turbo has chips out of all the blades and it smokes white on and off, so i want to put a 12v CTD in the truck iv looked at a few parts and pices and it looks easer than puting a PSD back in the truck :stupid:. i found a 94 ctd and it has 185, on the clock so what do you turbo diesel guys think, and if any one has done one of the destroke builds let me know how it made out. :bow:

2. TT_05_Stang

Re: CTD F450

Tons of people out there that have done this swap. Trucks on Powerblock is doing one as well, but I think they used the dodge frame.

3. TT_05_Stang

4. Remote Booster

i did hear them talking about doing a cummins in a ford but never seen it, so im at a loss. thanks.

5. fastforward

that show trucks is putting basically an 70's ford body on an dodge drw frame with dodge power train. i would have went with 4x4 if it were me..

6. Remote Booster

ok so i did a good bit of looking around and its not to bad just time and know how are needed to make it work, and parts, no big mods to the truck or drive line are needed. so i think im going to take it to the next level and go get a 12v ctd and the parts needed and see ware it takes me.. :welder:

7. bgjohnson

That 12V is so easy to work on. That Powerstroke is just so damned picky.

8. Remote Booster

ya she gets a bit funny at times. :stupid:

9. bgjohnson

I agree the engine is a woman. If it's not one thing it's another..

:D

10. Remote Booster

ya SHE dose one thig foe a week then pms when you ask her to work lol..

11. Colt

I dont blame ya for wanting to go to a Cummin's, it's a bad ass engine...... But, I think you could fix your 7.3 for much cheaper..

As for the wheel on the turbo, put a wicked wheel on it.. Chipped wheels is nothing out of the ordinary, it's not good, but it's not unheard of.. For 100 bucks, your turbo will be as good as new, not to mention getting rid of turbo surge.. As long as the seals and bearings are good of course..

HPOP's, there is no cheap way out of that, but again, with as many miles as that truck has, it's expected..

Injectors, if they are just wore out, rebuild them.. There are DIY kits out there, those same companies will also rebuld them for you if you dont feel up to the task. As long as the solenoids are good, they can be rebuilt no problem.

The Cummins swap sounds cool as hell, and the price doesnt sound that bad, just remember, it's the nickle and dime shit that will break ya. If you do it, and want to sell the 7.3, give me a shout, I might be interested.

12. Remote Booster

13. Colt

For the engine and all? :eek: damn thats cheap..

14. fordman2121

my brother has one in his superduty. He didnt put it in, was going to but found this one already done plus has more mods hen he would have done. The guy he bought it off of said it is fairly straight forward just takes time and money

15. Remote Booster

ya its not bad you can do a killer job on it for about 5k and it willl look stock im going to make a few key parts myself so it is cheeper

16. Colt

Hell yeah.. When ya start be sure to post up pics and progress.. After ya get done, you'll have a hell of a truck.

I'm thinking about swapping in a 5R110 trans in my F-250.. Mine needs rebuilt, needs a converter. The trans is actually in good shape, but the converter slips like a mo-fo at WOT. But with 225K miles, and a converter that wont slip, that trans wouldnt make it a week in it's current state. Hell by the time everything is upgraded to handle this truck, I'm lookin 5K.. I hate to throw that into a trans I hate with a pashion. The 5R110 should handle my truck just fine at it's current power level, converter might be lacking. So if I can find a used trans, have my trans guy go through it for me, toss a new converter in it I'll be happy as a pig in shit.. Just gotta do some research on it.. The electronics shouldnt be too hard, just put a standalone controller in it. I'd like to throw a 6 speed in it, there just aren't any wrecked trucks, or any place to source the parts around here. The swap doesnt scare me, the nickle and dime shit does though. The 5R110 swap might scare me too, but that 4R100 has to go, it's held up, but 4 gears just aint enough.

Dont feel bad about your truck. I just saw my F-450 with the cab off it, and the engine tore to shit today. Blown head gaskets, bad EGR cooler, screwed up turbo, a few bad injectors, a bad coolant bottle ( deformed lip, would puke A/F all over the place at full throttle ).. It's pretty screwed up, which I knew it was.. Head studs will be here tomorrow. Cant delete the EGR until it's out of warranty, so they can just keep throwing coolers in it until then.. It was pretty crazy seeing that cab up in the air like that.. Still love the truck though, I like the engine too, it's just not reliable ( yet )...

17. Remote Booster

i hate to hear that your truck is down, and yes ill post picks as i start but ist not going to be for sum time, this summer will be the time i start the swap i just want to pick up all the parts i will need, i am tossing up a p pumped 24v but i dont think im going to do that it is just going to push the price of the swap up a few K. but it is a bad ass idea, and im thinking im going to do a compound sys on it, right out of the gate. im just doing the r&d for the size i need on the two turbos. :chacha: and im going to do the fordcummins kit for the swap. iv heard sum good things about them.

18. bgjohnson

Colt-

Again!? Or is this a different truck?

19. Remote Booster

p.s. will the newer fruntends fit on my truck,say like an 07 or so they look colse and the rad suport is diff but can i switch it over.

20. fordman2121

the 05-07 will fit with some timming of the bottom bar or put the 05-07 bumper on. The headlights can also go on. The 08 plus trucks are alot of work from what ive read.
    Colt
    Is your f250 2wd or 4wd. I can get a 2wd trans with, if I remeber right about 11,000 miles (not a typo).