1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2005 Super Duty cold start issues.

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by furchaser, Dec 1, 2010.

1. furchaser

2005 F250 cold start problems. start / stall

If you are experiencing cold start issues with your Super duty 6.0 diesel this is a good place to start. It doesn't take long to get at it on the left valve cover and pull it out to split it on the bench. You will see in the last pic that it has burned up pretty bad because of poor battery condition and the FIMC trying to deliver power to the injectors to warm them up for cold start. One sign of the FIMC failing is when you turn the glow plugs on you won't hear the injectors buzz constant for a few seconds. My recommendation to anyone owning one of these is to keep your batteries in good condition or you will end up paying allot more to fix this problem . If your lucky you can find a used one for a couple hundred bucks and fit from 2003-2007 F series or 2004-2009 E series..... If you have to go new it must be reprogrammed at the dealer because they come in brain dead.

If anyone cares .. :cheers:

F250 6.0 003.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 004.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 005.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 006.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 007.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 008.jpg #ad

F250 6.0 009.jpg #ad

2. bgjohnson

Damn that's toasty, never seen one pulled apart before. Good info!

3. snapper

as a ford diesel tech, it will set a P0611 and some or all 8 injector circut codes, for now sells a "half" shell. but its worth getting the whole unit cause i seen the other half burn up later then you have no choice but to ter the whole thing.

4. PrecisionTurboMustang

Is this why my 6.0ps runs on about 2 cylinders until it warms up? It has also started dripping fuel from the engine bay until it warms up. I have seriously considered throwing a match under it. I thought the pita egr delete would make this truck reliable....what a joke.

5. snapper

it depends on which re-cal you have. the latest one will buzz the injectors with KOEO before starting. in my opinion ford did this to pre-cycle the injectors to heat the "sludge" out of the injectors (mainly due to lack of oil changes, wrong oil ie: rotella). this; over time over stresses the FICM coils and wears it out prematurelly. in colder climates i see this happen more frequintly. it steps 12 volts to 48 volts to fire the injectors. fords answer to everything is a reflash. lol. their always coiming out with updates.

as far as the fuel leak goes, i see a lot of people not getting the top or bottom fuel filter caps tightened properly and/or not changing the gasket. a lot of people will mistake the bottom filter being on when its really not. ford updated the bottom fuel filter about 2 years ago and people are not getting them in right. push in fully and turn untill it stops. as far as the cap goes it will feel tight, but keep going untill it stops turning. you will know it by feel. another leak i see alot is on the top filter, the oblong/oval o-ring on the regulator fill flatten over time and leak. more so on E series 6.0L (confined space and tons of heat)

when i do EGR deletes, i save all the old warranty ones i do at work and weld them up so it will still look factory. only problem is when i do that it will trigger a P0401 egr insuffent flow code with the factory updated re-flash.so you will need a tuner to dissable egr function

hope this helps

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

Mine is an 04 e-series cutaway. On top of the things I mentioned it stalled last week like it was out of fuel and left me stranded. I towed it back but haven't looked at it yet. I am glad there are some knowledgeable guys here.

7. snapper

pull some codes and let me know what you got. could be multipule things.