1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

COYOTE SINGLE TURBO SIZE

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by d3v1n007, Jan 4, 2019.

1. d3v1n007

Trying to nail down sizing on my single turbo build. My plans are to run 7-10 lbs for a long while with room to grow in the future. My primary concern is going to be having a hot side big enough to not have any backpressure issues. Secondarily would be to have as little lag as possible. I'm thinking something in T6 size, either S475 or S480. Any advise is appreciated.

2. 91turboterror

The hotside doesn’t cause back pressure issues. 2”- 2.25” hotside piping will cover you to 1000 hp or so. Choosing the t6 size will help in the back pressure area .
    Make sure your downpipe is large enough you could use the 1.25x sizing rule as long as space permits will also aid in back pressure. What’s your hp goal?

3. d3v1n007

Sorry in saying "hot side" I was mainly referring to the hot side of the turbo, but that may have not been the best terminology to use. I'm thinking the box standard S475 will suit my needs just fine, but packaging is going to be a bit of a challenge. My power goals are around 600-650 wheel, and I understand going T6 is a bit overkill for that, but definitely have plans for more power down the line.

4. d3v1n007

Hello everyone, just wanted to update the thread a little. I decided on a standard T6 s475 turbo. As far as I can tell it should be more than enough turbo for my needs. Now I'm deciding on wastegates. Going to run two gates, and could save about 100 dollars per gate going with 40mm as opposed to the 44-46 mm gates everyone seems to run. In the long run 200 bucks or so isn't a huge deal, but if the 40mm gates will do it then I'm just fine with that. I do plan on running about 6-10 pounds of boost initially, so I will need good gates that are big enough to control boost accurately. Any advise or experience is appreciated.

5. B E N

With a 460 and a 46mm welded to the exhaust housing on an s480 I have a very hard time controlling boost. I should have gone dual or a 60mm. I don't know your engine size.

6. 91turboterror

It’s a 5.0 coyote

7. d3v1n007

Yes it's a coyote, and I'm definitely going with twin gates if I were going that small. I think the 40's will be ok. Leaning towards precision gates right now. Should be ordering next week.

8. Mnlx

You should be fine. The turbine mounted gates seem to be very sensitive to mounting angle/ position.

9. d3v1n007

OK cool, I'm not mounting mine to the turbine like mentioned above, just going in the hotside piping.

10. B E N

I have had the gate in 3 other locations. This works by far the best and it still isn't good enough.

11. Mnlx

Good to know. I've seen some that should've had plenty of gate, but had some pretty serious creep until the gate was mounted more inline with the flow path. It makes sense that the rules still apply, regardless of where its mounted.

12. d3v1n007

Am I reading it right that you are only running one 46mm gate on a S480? Cause that definitely doesn’t seem to be enough gate from what I’ve gathered so far.

13. B E N

Yes, your reading right. Go bigger.

14. d3v1n007

or twin gates....