1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Counter Weight Clearance Issues (pics)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mike SVOR, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mike SVOR

Just got my 351 delivered and it looks like the rear main cap's bolt is extrememly close to the most rear counter weight.
    It's only got .020 thousandths clearance from the bolt's head to the counter weight.
    Does this seem normal?

104_0452 copy.jpg #ad

2. Mike SVOR

Here is another pic,

copy of 104_0447 copy.jpg #ad

3. dman

considering there is end play it does seem allitle tight. push the crank back as far as it will go then measure.

4. rl-

Check endplay, it might have the wrong thrust bearing in it...

5. 351Freak

take the bolt out and swap it with another one...looks like your problem is due to the orientation of the hex head when it reached torque spec...you could get another .030 easy if it wasn't "pointed" at the crank...

6. ShaneH

:withstu:

7. Mike SVOR

Is that small amount of clearance normal?

8. ShaneH

In all actuality, .020 would be acceptable with the crank pushed as far back into the thrust bearing as you can, although I'd like to see .030. Just swap the bolts on that cap and see what the clearances look like, if it'll make you more comfortable. This is where 12 point nuts and studs are nice. You don't have these issues with them.

9. shawnt64

oh and if it rubs the motor will explode:rolleyes:

10. Mike SVOR

no, it probably wouldn't rub. But if it did, it would be throwing metal shavings at my brand new pistons.

11. shawnt64

well lets think about that. 8 clyinder boors, cast iron, and at least one moly ring per piston

3.14x4"x3.5"x8 = 351 square" of area rubbing pretty hard

now a steel bolt head .25" possibly rubbing a length of steel crank 3" = .75 square"

i am sure the metal shavings will be coming from the bores

12. Mike SVOR

If my brand new Forged Steel Eagle crank rubs on anything that could scratch it, I'm gona have a serious mental breakdown.

13. shawnt64

lol i am the same way, but if you take one loose you better take them all loose and then retorque the whole motherscratcher

14. Disney Lincoln

Some ARP bolts or studs will fix that problem.

15. ShaneH

Nahhh, you've already got the crank bedded in the bearings. You could swap bolts on a single cap and not need to retorque every cap.

16. Pro Tech 1

A simple fix for your bolt clearance problem would be to rotate your crank to access the bolt with a socket and mark the bolt edge that is by the crank with a marker pen and remove the bolt and belt sand the edge to a smooth radius to add your clearance between your crank and the bolt ! Just make sure that you untorque both of the main cap bolts evenly and torque back to specs..!