1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Could you run a upgraded turbo on a stock tune using a boost controller to bleed boost

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by GenesisGenius, Oct 27, 2018.

1. GenesisGenius

Could you run a upgraded turbo on a stock tune using a boost controller to bleed boost out and run like 1/4th the boost of the stock tune . Like if you upgrade to a slightly bigger and better turbo but compensate by running less boost will it knock or detonate with less boost or will be safe to drive around with until you get a tune.

2. GenesisGenius

New to the fourm Hoping for an answer.
    Thinking of upgrading the stock genesis coupe turbo to a tomei and run less boost until i can get a tune

3. Bad Medicine Racing

You can change the turbo and run the same boost as you did with the stock turbo. Given it is not hideuosly larger than the original, and in a surge area of the map. But most people don't get that crazy.

4. Traction Issuez

You can afford a turbo but you can't afford a tune? Just get it tuned so you'll be able to see if your injectors are maxed out from moving more air. Along with the fuel pump.

MCA likes this.
  5. GenesisGenius

Turbo is too small for decent gains. I want to install a turbo kit myself. Lower the boost while i drive it and order the fuel system later then tune last

6. Bad Medicine Racing

Is it turbo now?

7. GenesisGenius

Yeah

8. Bad Medicine Racing

Are you just changing turbo or a total system change?

9. GenesisGenius

Just the turbo and intercooler. Keeping stock manifold. Planning on running like 7-9psi for safety. The new turbo spools faster and is rated 400whp

10. Bad Medicine Racing

If you change the turbo and use the same wastegate or wastegate actuator, you will not be able to run lower boost unless you can change the spring or lengthen the actuator rod. It is not a good idea to "bleed" boost to the atmosphere via a controlled leak in the cold side. This over speeds the turbo for no reason.

Just change your turbo, and run the same boost you are currently running. It *should* be fine imo. Unless you are leaving out some important information.