1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

air/water intercooler?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 97tntcobra, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 97tntcobra

on the cooler itself does it matter what direction the water inlet and outlet are , can they both be on the bottom or both on the side. Like this one there all on the top could you turn it over and they all be on the bottom with lets say a rule 2000
    [​IMG]#ad

2. half-fast

from what i remember from heat transfer you want counter flow on a heat exchanger-so you would want the coldest water coming in the core where the outlet for the air would be

3. 97tntcobra

yes i know that but does it matter in witch position the inlet and outlet are water pushing up from the bottom or dumping from the top or from the side, it may not matter i was just curious

4. half-fast

[​IMG]#ad

basically first law of thermo is there has to be a temperature differntial for heat to transfer- the larger the temperature difference the more heat that can be transfered

so if the water flowed the same way as the air does then there is a big transfer of heat right as the air enters then the water warms up and doesnt do a whole lot after it keeps going

5. half-fast

hmmm as long as your pump can push it i wouldnt think so

6. blown385

The Rule 2000 can move some water . Just make sure the lines are 1" including inlets and outlets on the intercooler .

7. 97tntcobra

ah mine are 3/4 on the cooler and 1in on the tank guess ill have to live with that until i pull the dash back out

8. 97tntcobra

9. blown385

I see where he is coming from . It makes sense to have the lines come in from the top to bleed air out . I think if the pump is up to the task , the air shouldnt be a problem . The core will be a restriction anyway .

I'd like to hear what the other guys think also . :2thumbs:

10. 97tntcobra

one of dustins (10 sec goal) i/c will be on there next just wasnt in the plan when i hade already bought this one

11. blown385

Heres mine from Dustin . Its mounted kinda angled down and the water comes in from the bottom , and I can tell you , there is no air in it .

[​IMG]#ad