1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cooper head gaskets

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Crazy Larry, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Crazy Larry

What advantage do copper head gaskets have and when do you pick them over regular gaskets?

2. Mnlx

Most are run with a fire ring, and receiver grooves. Coolant leaks can be a problem with them, and with the mls gaskets out there now, crazy big boost, or an application with a thin deck, or lack of fasteners is about the only time they'd be better imo.

3. Crazy Larry

So is it because they are thin that they can take big boost? Reason I ask is I'd think copper wouldn't do well since its soft.

4. Mnlx

The fire ring, and receiver grooves are what makes them good for boost.

5. TTF/Ken Staff Member

You're thinking the opposite of what happens with a softer metal (behind the fire ring). Being softer means when torqued down it conforms really well with the mating surfaces and make a great seal.

6. blown385

sometimes hurting a piston is cheaper than hurting heads and block .

sometimes blowing a mls gasket can cause alot of damage .

7. blown385

[​IMG]#ad

receiver groves

[​IMG]#ad

orings

[​IMG]#ad

8. Crazy Larry

Is that your engine build?

9. blown385

thats my engine .

Dart SHP block .

bridal-shoal